Good In Goodbye

Tapping her fingers along the wooden table, the blonde sat waiting for her husband to arrive. She scrolled through emails on her phone but wasn't paying much attention to the screen.

Hearing laughter, Carrie looked up and saw a little dark haired girl laughing up on her dad's shoulders. A blonde woman stood beside them with her hand in his.

Carrie let out a small smile, noting how cute the family was, then went back to checking her phone. She dialed her husbands number to see where he was. No answer.

She sighed, taking another sip of her drink. She couldn't stop watching the family out of the corner of her eye. The man looked oddly familiar, though she couldn't see his face.

Carrie glanced back at her phone and then back up at them, catching him as he turned around.

They made eye contact and all the memories came flooding back to Carrie and caused her to freeze in her tracks.

"Carrie?" He noticed her the second he laid eyes on her. He put his daughter down and walked over to her table.

"Tony, hi." Carrie pressed her lips together and forced a smile.

"How are you? It's been a while."

"I'm doing good, you?" Carrie had to keep from biting her lip. She hated small talk and this was extremely awkward for both of them. She hadn't seen him since they'd broken up six years ago.

"Good, football's still kicking butt." Tony laughed awkwardly.

"Yeah, singing is too." Carrie glanced at the door and back at Tony. Where was her husband to save her from this awkward conversation when she needed him?

Tony's wife and daughter came up to join him. The little girl jumped up into Tony's arms and Carrie smiled.

"Hi!" The little girl squealed, smiling widely at Carrie and waving at her. Carrie immediately noticed her crystal blue eyes, a trait she'd clearly inherited straight from her dad.

"Carrie, this is my wife Candice and our daughter Katie." Tony said. Carrie stood up to shake her hand.

"Oh wow, you're uh, I didn't realize you were pregnant. Um congrats" tony stuttered to say. He was taken aback to see Carrie's pregnant stomach.

"Oh um yeah." Carrie laughed awkwardly. "Thanks."

"How far along are you?"

"Six and a half months." Carrie replied, rubbing her belly.

Finally, Carrie saw her husband walk
through the door and smile when he saw her.

"There you are." Carrie cooed, Mike kissing her cheek as he joined them.

"Mike, this is Tony. And his wife Candice and their daughter Katie." Carrie grabbed Mike's hand and squeezed it. She was happy he was here now to make it less awkward.

"Nice to meet you." Mike shook Tony's hand, instantly connecting in his mind that he was the man who'd hurt Carrie so bad years ago. 

"Well I guess we should get going, it was nice to see you. Enjoy your lunch and um good luck with the rest of your pregnancy." Tony said, scratching his head awkwardly.

"Thanks, it was good to see you too." Carrie forced a smile.

"Was that-?" Mike asked, pointing towards them as they left the restaurant.

"Yes." She interrupted him, rolling her eyes. "That was so awkward."

Carrie wrapped her arms around her husband and hugged him tight. "I love you."

"I love you too?" Mike replied with a question. He was confused as to why she was hugging him in public, she'd always hated PDA.

Carrie squeezed him tight and then rose to her tip toes and kissed him.

"Uh, what's going on?" Mike chuckled, leading her back to her chair.

Carrie shook her head and smiled, reaching across the table to take his hand. "Seeing him again just made me realize how happy I am that we never worked out."

"I mean I was destroyed when I found out he cheated on me, I didn't think I was ever going to get over it. But if he hadn't had an affair with that stupid model, I wouldn't have met you. And that, that would have been tragic." Carrie smiled, squeezing his hand. 

"Because I love you so, so, so much." Carrie bit her lip and smiled. Mike made her so incredibly happy, a type of happy that she didn't even know existed when she was with Tony.

Sometimes there really is good in goodbye.