The Hunt

"Carrie? Hello? Are you home?"

Mike looked around the living room, confused as to why the house was silent. His wife's car was in the driveway, but she was nowhere to be found.

Setting his keys down, he noticed a small envelope with his name on it.

"Hey babe. Hope you had a good practice. I'm sure you're wondering where I am right now. You'll have to find me to find out. You'll find your first clue under the vase of flowers. Enjoy! -Carrie

P.S. sorry I'm not good at rhyming"

Mike looked around, wondering what in the world she was up to. He wracked his brain to make sure it wasn't an important date he'd forgotten about, but couldn't think of anything.

He picked up the glass vase filled with roses and found another envelope with a #1 on it. Pulling the card out, he began to read slowly.

"In this room we spend lots of our time, snuggled under a blanket with a good glass of wine. We've laughed here and cried here for almost five years, and when football is on we crowd in here with beers."

Oh my goodness. Mike chuckled to himself. God only knows what she's trying to do.

Laughing at his silly wife, he knew exactly where she was talking about. He walked over to the couch in their "living room" which wasn't really their living room. Their kitchen opened up into a smaller casual dining room area and then into a large living room area where they spent most of their time. They had a fancier living room area down the hall which was rarely ever used unless formal company was over.

Lying on the coffee table, a card was waiting for him with #2 written on it.

"Card number two is very nearby. Here is where we grill and we bake and and we fry. My personal favorite is our spontaneous make out sessions, but mostly we use this to cook our favorite food obsessions."

Mike grinned. Clever. He thought again. These were quite humorous and he couldn't wait to see where they ended.

He walked into the kitchen to find a note on the counter top, just where he knew she'd place it. 

"Congratulations, you've found the next card. Hopefully the rest won't be very hard. For card #4 you must think outside the box. This room holds all of our dirty socks."

Mike laughed again, she was way too smart for this. He held the cards in his hand and walked down the hall to their laundry room.

He expected to see a card sitting on top of the washing machine, but saw nothing. He looked around, trying to spot the small white envelope. It was nowhere to be found. He looked down and read the clue again.

Think outside the box. He read. He tried to think like his wife would. He looked around again, finally eyeing a stack of boxes in the corner.

Ah ha! Slipped between two boxes, he saw the corner of a white envelope sticking out. Boy, she's smart.

"Good job! You found the hardest clue and you passed the test. The location of #5 is where you make me feel the best. At the end of the day we rest our heads in this spot. But sometimes we get frisky and make things hot."

Mike laughed out loud. He always found Carrie's attempts at dirty talk to be adorable, especially now when she was trying to rhyme it. He jogged up the stairs and found #6 sitting on top of their bed. He opened the envelope and began to read.

"You're almost finished, this last card is my favorite. I have some great news and I know you will savor it. In nine short months this room will come alive. We'll be bringing home our new addition-surprise!"

Mike had to read it twice to make sure that he'd read correctly.

Is she saying what I think she's saying?

Carrie sat anxiously waiting in the almost empty bedroom. She was nervous that Mike would miss a clue or something would mess up. She'd spent two hours with Ivey trying to come up with the clues and wanted everything to be perfect. It was nearly impossible for her to sit in silence and listen to him slowly walk around the house and hopefully find the clues.

Down the hall, Mike quickly jumped up off the bed, realizing where he was supposed to go. He walked down to the room beside there's-one they'd deemed their future child's room months ago when they'd moved in.

Carrie stood smiling when he appeared at the door.

"Surprise." She cooed, a grin from ear to ear on her face.

For a split second, Mike just stared at her, unable to move. He looked at the beautiful blonde woman that he'd loved for five years standing in front of him with a goofy smile on her face. He couldn't process that there was a little baby that he'd helped create inside her body.

He lunged forward to her, immediately wrapping his arms around her waist and lifting her off her feet. He spun her around in a circle as she squealed.

When he finally sat her down, Carrie was laughing and smiling even bigger than before. She put her hands on his chest to steady herself.

"I love you I love you I love you." He repeatedly kissed her over and over. "I can't believe this."

Carrie was too happy to even say anything, she was trying to hold back tears from falling from her eyes.

"I can't believe you did all of that. That was the greatest thing ever. I had no idea what was going on. That was so creative and clever." Mike still had his arms tightly around her waist holding her close.

Carrie laughed. "Thanks, it took a while. I wanted it to be perfect."

"It was so beyond perfect." He smiled. "I especially loved the one about getting frisky in bed."

"Shut up." Carrie laughed, slapping his arm. "Rhyming is hard."

"I loved it." He said softly, his hand caressing her cheek. "And I love you."

Carrie blushed, letting the kiss linger. She felt Mike's hand slide under her shirt and begin to rub her stomach.

"I can't wait for our little family." He whispered, planting a kiss on her forehead. "It's going to be perfect."