Number Five

"Mike?"

The chatter grew quieter at the small sound of Carrie's voice. Mike turned around to look at his wife.

"Can you come here for a second?" Carrie crossed her arms tighter over her chest.

Mike rose from the table, leaving the rest of the group that was busy playing an intense card game.

Carrie turned, walking down the hallway into their bedroom.

"What's up?"

Carrie looked at the floor, biting her lip so she wouldn't cry.

"I'm bleeding." She looked up, locking eyes with Mike. The pain was evident in her eyes. She looked back to the floor, unable to bear looking at her husband.

It only took a split second for Mike to register what she meant. He let out a large sigh, his whole body lifting and then falling.

She felt Mike engulf her into his arms, her petite body being surrounded by his muscular form.

He let out another sigh, his fingers running through her hair and holding her close.

At this point, Carrie was completely numb. This was the fifth time she'd been through this in three years.

Today was the fifth baby she'd lost to a miscarriage.

"I'm sorry." Mike felt tears begin to fill his eyes, but refused to let them fall. Carrie needed him to be the strong one.

Each miscarriage had ruined her one by one and it was evident every single day. She was a completely different person than she was three years ago. She was much more fragile, she walked around on eggshells as though she could be broken in one single snap.

"Are you hurting?"

"My back has been hurting some, I took Tylenol earlier. I didn't think anything of it until I saw the blood." Carrie explained, pulling away enough to look at him. Mike kept his hands on her arms and looked into her hurting eyes.

"Do you need anything? What can I do?"

"I just want to lay down." Carrie said softly.

"Okay." Mike kissed her forehead softly. "I'll send everyone home. I'll be back up in a minute."

Carrie nodded, letting Mike embrace her in another hug before finally pulling away and going to lay down.

Mike walked out of the room, letting out another sigh as he walked back to everyone else.

"Ivey, Christina." Mike nodded his head towards the kitchen. They could both see on his face that what he needed to say was not good.

"What's wrong? Is Carrie okay?" Ivey asked as soon as they were out of earshot from everyone else.

"She thinks she's having another miscarriage." Mike sighed, leaning against the counter with his head in his hand.

"Seriously?"

"Another one?"

"How many is this, four?"