Cold Feet

Carrie paced back and forth in front of the door, debating whether to knock or not. She ran her fingers through her long blonde hair, leaning against the wall.

Just do it, Carrie told herself. Knock on the dang door.

The next thing she knew, her hand was pulling away from the door after knocking loudly.

"Carrie?" Mike rubbed his eyes, becoming more awake when he saw his fiancé standing at the door. "What are you doing here? It's 1 o clock in the morning."

"I don't think I'm ready for this." She said quickly, getting the words out of her mouth before she could stop herself from saying them.

Mike looked at her confused. He wasn't sure what she meant. "Hmm?"

"This. Tomorrow. Getting married. I just don't think I'm ready and I-I don't know what to do." Carrie rambled, running her fingers through her hair again in frustration.

Mike sighed softly and felt his heart sink. He paused for a moment then opened the door wider and stepped aside to let her in.

Carrie crossed her arms tightly across her chest and sat down on the bed, not making eye contact with her fiancé.

"Tell me what's wrong." Mike spoke softly as he sat down beside her.

"I don't know." Carrie mumbled honestly.

She didn't know why she'd gotten cold feet hours before her wedding day. She hadn't had a doubt since the day he proposed, but now, coming home from the rehearsal dinner, every worry she could possibly have swarmed her head.

"Are you having second thoughts about getting married?" Mike swallowed hard, trying to keep his cool.

Carrie nodded, still looking at the floor. "I'm sorry."

Mike sighed, biting his lip to remain calm. He wanted to go freak out, but knew he couldn't do that to Carrie. It would only make it worse. He had to remain calm. "How come?"

"I don't know. Marriage is a big commitment Mike, it's for the rest of our lives. What if we change? What if something happens? I don't know how to explain it Mike. I just" Carrie trailed off, not sure where she was headed with her sentence. She didn't know how to explain it to him, she didn't even understand it herself.

Mike should have known this was coming. Carrie had always had major trust issues. She had bad anxiety and worried over things that were never going to happen. Her past had left her broken and fragile and no matter how much Mike tried, he knew a part of her would always be the hurting girl he'd met two years ago.

Mike thought hard before speaking. He wasn't sure how to go about this conversation and didn't want to mess it up.

"Look at me." Mike said softly. He lifted her chin up with his index finger and looked deep into her eyes. "Do you love me?"

"Yes." Carrie mumbled almost inaudibly.

"Do you trust me?"

Carrie nodded. Tears ran down her face.

"So believe me when I say I'm not going anywhere. I'm never going to hurt you Carrie. I'm all in, I have been since the day I met you. We're in this together, no matter what life throws at us. Because I love you more than anything." Mike held Carrie's hands in his.

"I know." Carrie sighed. "I don't want to have second thoughts Mike, I want to marry you I really do. I want to marry you without a doubt and be with you for the rest of my life. I hate my anxiety, I shouldn't even be doubting you. You're absolutely perfect, you're more than I ever could have dreamed of having. I'm just so scared somethings going to mess it up." Carrie was now sobbing as she tried to explain to Mike what was going on inside her head.

"I can't predict the future, I don't know what's going to happen twenty years from now, heck, I don't even know what's going to happen tomorrow. But I do know that I will love you until the day that I die, and I will do everything in my humanly power to make you the happiest girl in the entire world because there's nothing better in this messed up world than seeing you smile." Mike spoke softly, caressing Carrie's face. "I promise. We can handle anything that comes our way.

"I love you so much." She whispered, hugging him tightly. "I'm sorry for doubting you."

"Shh, it's okay." Mike kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back as she cried.

"I'm glad you came and talked it out instead of keeping it inside. You can always come talk to me about anything, I'm not going to get mad." Mike smiled, kissing her softly.

"Thank you" she cooed, a small smile appearing on her face.

"Do you want to stay here?" Mike pushed her hair out of her face.

Carrie nodded, another tear escaping out of her eyes. Mike kissed her forehead and took her hand, helping her stand up off the bed.

"It's all going to be okay, I promise." He assured her. He kissed her soft and passionately, taking her breath away. How she managed to find someone so wonderful, she had no idea.

She crawled into bed beside him, snuggling up against him. Mike pulled her closer against him and kissed her head. "I love you princess, I'll see you at the alter tomorrow."