Heartbeat

"There you are." Mike whispered, sneaking up behind his wife and wrapping his arms around her waist. He  left little kisses down the side of neck.

Carrie giggled, scrunching up her shoulders from the tickling sensation on her neck.

"Stop it." She giggled, prying his hands off her waist. "We're in public."

"I'm sorry, this dress is just so irresistible baby." He smirked, turning her around and pulling her up against him.

"Quit it Mike!" She giggled, feeling him palm her bottom. "You know I don't like PDA."

"Then how about we get out of here, go somewhere where I can kiss those beautiful red lips for as long as I want." He grinned, running his fingers across her lips.

"Mikee" she protested.

"Come on Carrie, no one will notice if you slip out early. You know as well as I do that you'd much rather go drive down some dark country road and have a picnic in a field and look up at the stars than stay here and pretend to like all of these people."

Carrie tried not to smile, but Mike was right, and he could see it in her eyes.

"Come on, let's go." Mike grabbed her hand and smiled, dragging her through the crowd before she could protest.

"People are going to notice we're gone." Carrie protested as they walked out to their car hand in hand.

"Nah, there's so many people in there they won't even notice it, and if they do, who cares? It's not like we're going to get in trouble or something." He laughed.

"You're a bad influence on me." Carrie stated, crawling into the car and immediately taking her heels off.

"I aim to please." He cooed, leaning over to  kiss her cheek. They pulled out of the parking lot and headed out of town.

"Where are we going?" Carrie asked as Mike drove past the exit for their house.

"I told you, out into the country where we can pull off and lay under the stars."

"You were serious? I thought we were just going to go home to like the backyard or something." Carrie laughed.

"Nah, that's boring. Gotta make it worth leaving." Mike grinned. He pulled off on the side of a road in front of a big open field.

Carrie left her heels in the car and climbed out, taking Mike's hand.

"Wait! We should play some music." Carrie turned around and went back to the car, flipping through the stations to find music.

"All I'm getting is static." Carrie frowned, turning it back off.

"Oh well, we don't need music." Mike grabbed Carrie's hand and pulled her up against him, wrapping his arms around her waist. The two swayed back and forth together to the sound of the crickets in the background.

"It's beautiful out here." Carrie looped her arms around his neck and looked up at the sky. The full moon was shining above them along with thousands of stars covering the darkness. Fireflies buzzed around them lighting up the air.

"I love you." Mike whispered, caressing her cheek.

"I love you more." Carrie smiled, rising to her tip toes to kiss him.

Mike pulled her in for a long slow kiss, letting it linger as long as it could.

Carrie rested her head on Mike's chest, smiling to herself at how lucky she was as they rocked back and forth to the rhythm of his heartbeat.