We Fight, We Make Up

"Mike stop."

"Carrie please, I didn't mean it like that." Mike pleaded, chasing after her. He grabbed her arm, trying to stop her from running away from him.

"Stop following me!" She screamed, yanking her arm away from him. She ran up the stairs, slamming the bedroom door behind her before collapsing on the floor.

"Carrie." Mike sighed, leaning against the door.

"Go away." Carrie choked, tears filling her eyes. Their fight ran through her mind repeatedly, the words he'd screamed at her replaying over and over.

"When are you going to stop crying all the time and realize that no matter what you do it won't come back? It's time to move on Carrie, this is ridiculous!"

Questions swarmed her mind as she tried to understand the fight they'd just had.

How could he say that?

How could he tell me to move on and forget about the child we lost?

Did he really mean what he said?

Had it not affected him at all?

Wasn't he still hurting too?

He'd only wanted to take her out for a nice dinner to get her out of the house. Carrie was struggling deeply with the loss and Mike was beginning to get worried. Of course, he was still hurting too, but not like Carrie. He felt as though she was declining instead of improving, he feared she was slipping into depression.

This wasn't the first argument they'd had since the miscarriage, it seemed they fought almost every day now, but it was definitely their worst.

With tears running down her cheeks, Carrie eyed the shattered frame sitting on their dresser. In it, their first ultrasound picture from three months ago remained under the broken glass. The night she'd thrown it across the room in anger flashed through her head.

A shuffling sound knocked Carrie out of her trance. She looked down and saw a folded piece of paper lying at the foot of the door. Carrie wiped her face off and picked it up with a sniffle.

"Carrie,
I'm so sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it at all, I promise. I shouldn't have gotten angry with you. I guess we all grieve differently and sometimes I let my anger get the best of me. I shouldn't take it out on you and I'm deeply sorry for every fight we've had in the past month. I'm still hurting too, not a single day goes by that I don't think about that sweet baby and what things would be like right now if you were still pregnant. But we have to work through this together. Fighting like this is only going to make it worse. We're a team, we have to treat each other like one and stick together. You know I'm always here for you no matter what. I love you more than anything in the world, please forgive me.
Mike"

Carrie now had a fresh batch of tears falling from her face. She pressed her hand into mouth to succumb her tears as she held the letter tightly between her fingers.

Standing up, Carrie placed her hand on the door knob and slowly turned it. A small smile curved across her lips at the sight of her husband who had a cheesy smile on his face.

Mike opened his arms as Carrie wrapped herself up in him, hugging him as tight as she could.

"I'm sorry."  Mike whispered, holding her small body against his. His head rested on top of hers.

Carrie didn't say anything. She tightened her grip on him, remaining silent as they hugged for a long period of time. Carrie wanted to freeze the moment in her mind forever. In his arms, she knew that she was safe and that everything would be okay.

Finally, Carrie pulled away from her husband, looking up at him with makeup smeared down her face and tears dripping from her cheeks.

"I'm sorry for yelling. I didn't mean it." Mike wiped away her tears under her eyes with his thumb.

"I know. I'm sorry too." She muttered, her eyes looking down towards the ground. She fiddled with her fingers as she spoke. "I don't know why I'm like this. You were right, I do need to move on."

Mike took her hand, leading her the few steps over to the wall. They both sat down on the ground outside their bedroom. He placed his other hand on hers as well, surrounding her small hand with both of his.

"We're going to get through this. I promise." He raised her hand up, squeezing it tight as he kissed her hand softly.

"No more fighting?" Carrie looked up at her husband with tears in her eyes.

"No more fighting." Mike smiled, gripping her hand tighter. "I'll be here for you and you'll be here for me. It's just me and you against the world."

A smile crept across the Blonde's face. "I love you."

"I love you too princess." He kissed her forehead. "Don't worry. We'll get each other through this."

Carrie rested her head on Mike's shoulder. She messed with the ring on his finger as they sat in silence, still holding hands.

For the rest of the night, the couple remained in the hallway on the floor. They didn't speak. They didn't need too. The silence spoke for them. They didn't need to talk to understand what the other was thinking, they just needed to be.