Apocalyptic Love pt 25

Word Count: 1100+

ANNABETH CHASE

The warmth from the blood seems to burn my freezing hands. I grip onto his shirt, roughly pulling his limp form upwards.
"Come back!" I scream, although my voice is hoarse and it catches on the last word.

"Come back you bastard!"

My hand runs over his cheek. And down to his shoulders. I lean my forehead forwards and rest it against his.

"You said you wouldn't leave." I whisper, my lips close to his skin. My tears fall from my own cheeks and land on his. I watch silently as my tears touch his lips.
Slowly, I rock our bodies back and forth.

Back...and forth.

His blood stains my clothes and mixes with the dirt on my hands. But I don't care.
I don't care about anything anymore.

"Percy..."
I look to his eyes.
"Percy please come back to me."

I watch wordlessly as his once beautiful eyes are overcome by the white mist.

And I rock us,
Back...and forth.
Back...and forth.

With a bang that makes me jump, I shoot a bullet through his skull. Blood splatters onto my face.

And finally..I let the sobs rack through my body.

Blood rolls slowly down his forehead, pooling around his eyes and mouth.
I lift up my shaking fingers and close his eyes, no longer wanting to see the wretched white mist that dulled his once beautiful eyes.

I sob again, and lean forward. I place my forehead on his again, feeling the burn from the blood on my face.
My fingers tenderly run through his hair and over his cheeks.

"I'm sorry....I'm sorry Percy."

And as I move myself away from the body of my dead lover, I finally start to break again.

The wall that I had precariously built against these emotions crumbled in an instant. My whole body shook and I screamed out at the top of my lungs.

I grabbed my gun and placed it against my temple.

My last thought before I pulled the trigger..was of him.
The sarcastic boy with the raven hair and sea-green eyes.

And I knew, I would see him again in a different life.

My finger squeezes and there is a loud bang. There is a sensation of falling before a warmth flows through my entire body.

...and then..nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth wakes with a start. (*collective sigh of relief*)
Her entire body is numb. She looks around to see if she woke anyone else up. She thinks that she was lucky until her eyes meet...his.

Of course it had to be Percy's shift when she woke from a nightmare.

She looks down and puts her palms to her eyes in an attempt to stop the images from the dream from haunting her. It's no use of course.

"Beth?"
She ignores Percy. Hoping that he will see sense and leave her alone.
But of course, she hasn't been very lucky lately.

She hears him get up and walk towards her. A warmth prickles up her arm when he sits close beside her.

"You okay?"
"It was just a dream."
"Dreams can be pretty haunting."

Annabeth drops her hands and lifts her head, looking at Percy.
She searches his eyes for any glimpse of mist. But she sees nothing.

No mist. No tears. No blood.

Without thinking, she leans towards Percy and presses her lips against his.
The numb feeling she woke up with leaves for a moment, until she pulls away.
Percy's eyes are questioning when she pulls back.
"I'm sorry..I-"
"You don't need to apologise. I enjoy kissing you."
Her cheeks heat up slightly. And Percy grins goofily.

"You died."

"...what?" The grin fades.
"In my dream. Luke had shot you. And you died. And then you turned. So I had to shoot you."
Annabeth looks away.
"I woke up because I dreamt that I had shot myself afterwards."
"..you shot yourself?"
"I didn't want to be alone again." Tears spring to her eyes and she huffs in annoyance. Thank goodness the others are asleep.

"I thought you liked being alone..." Percy says hesitantly.
"I guess I did make it out that way."
She continues,
"But I didn't really remember what it was like being around other people. But now that I do...I'm so scared that I'm going to lose you all. I don't want to be alone again. Having to rely on myself. Protect myself."

"Humans aren't built to be alone and isolated." Annabeth says.
"That's why I freaked out when I found out Frank was bitten. None of this was supposed to happen. In my mind our group was supposed to stay strong and together for ages. Hazel wasn't supposed to die. Frank wasn't supposed to be bitten."

"You're scared he'll turn and infect the rest of us." Percy says.

Annabeth nods in response, not trusting herself to voice her reply.

"I'm scared of that too."
Annabeth looks over at Percy now. Finally seeing him with his walls down. His face is screwed up in pain.

They stay silent for a while.
Until Percy's hoarse voice startles her and ends the silence.
"I lost my mum you know."
Percy clears his throat.
"I didn't have a dad. Not really. The bastard had left long ago. It was just me and my mother against the world."

"Sally was her name. I adored her. She was so beautiful. And so strong. To be able to put up with me all on her own....well she was also a very courageous woman."
Percy laughs lightly, tears start to blur his vision.

"As soon as I heard about the outbreak, I had rushed home to find her. Only, she wasn't there."
He is silent for a moment, as if reliving the day himself.
"She never made it home. Someone had forced her off the road. Her car rammed into a tree and she was pinned.....Crushed.....Trapped. When I finally found the car some days later, her body was half-mauled by walkers. If it wasn't for Grover, I would have shot myself right then and there. He stopped me. He tackled me and forced the gun out of my hand."

"I don't know what I'd do without him."

"Annabeth," He turns to her now, "I don't know what it's like to be truly alone like you do, I've been loved by someone all my life. But that moment with my mum, I felt so alone that I thought there was no reason to live anymore."

"As long as I live, I will never let you reach that point again. I will love you the way you deserve to be loved. And help protect you from the many bad things of this world. I love you Wise Girl. I want you to know that."

Annabeth leans forwards instantly, and Percy closes the space between them.
They kiss with passion but without any crazy desperation. Because they know that right now, in an apocalyptic age, they have to savour the precious seconds they have.

So when they pull apart, breathless and blushing, foreheads pressed together.

Annabeth whispers, "I love you too."

And all the numbness leaves her body.