Apocalyptic Love pt. 5

Word count: 2700+

ANNABETH CHASE

Annabeth slept for two hours until a noise woke her up. She was clean and in new clothes: a shirt a little too big for her, a black leather jacket and a pair of leggings. She had turned down wearing jeans, they weren't the easiest pants to move in.

Annabeth moves the sheet off her body. She twists and puts her feet on the ground. She grabs the shoes and socks next to her bed. She laces and ties the comfortable joggers. Her hair falls in front of her face as she leans down.
Annabeth huffs in frustration and pushes it back and ties it up messily.

There's a thud sound that comes from outside her door. Annabeth grabs her knife and twirls it between her fingers as she approaches it.
"Aww shit." Someone says after another thud sounds.
Annabeth opens her door and takes in the scene before her.

A tanned boy with crazy curly hair lays on the ground, rubbing the back of his head. He looks up towards the ceiling in annoyance.
"Are you alright?" Annabeth asks, closing her door behind her.
"Yeah fine thanks." The boy looks over at her, taking in her appearance but also the knife being lazily twirled in her hand. He made a note to himself to not mess with this one.

"What are you doing?" Annabeth asks, seeing the tools and ladder in the middle of the hallway.
"Trying to fix this light."
"I didn't notice them...how do you have power? Since the outbreak, the only lights I've seen are ones powered by batteries."
"I designed a generator."
"How'd you get the parts?"
"I didn't. Some of the others went on raid."

Annabeth looks at him skeptically. He must be that guy Percy talked about earlier...what was his name?

"What's your name?" The boy asks her, getting up and brushing his hands on his pants.
Annabeth remains silent.

There was nothing he could hold over her by just knowing her name but she felt like there would be a power he could gain....strange but it was just the way she was wired. To never trust anyone.

"Alrighty then...the name's Leo. But you can call me...." He trails off remembering the knife in her hand.
"Leo. You can call me Leo." He coughs awkwardly.
"Annabeth."
"Huh?"
"My name's Annabeth."
Leo smiles and holds out his hand for her to shake. She slips her knife away and shakes his hand.

"So what was that noise earlier?"
"Noise?"
"There was a thud."
"Ah...that would probably have been me. Falling off the ladder. Twice."
Annabeth smirks.
"Well be careful next time."
"Sure thing..Annabeth."
Annabeth nods and looks down the hall, down the way she hadn't explored yet.

"I'm going to go explore. Bye Leo."
"See ya Annabeth."

Annabeth walked quickly through the halls. She ran her fingers along the walls. How long had it taken them to build this? Was there already an existing structure? Or was it made from scratch?
She passed turns and closed doors. She wondered if Percy was behind any of those doors. She doubted it.

Finally she came to the last door. It was open and she could hear people talking inside. There was no laughing though. Hardly anyone laughed nowadays.

She stepped inside and ducked to the right, skimming along the wall. No one noticed her. Her lips quirked upwards. She took pride in being able to disappear in the shadows.