Chapter 10: Crawling To The Top

Art made by Pdubbssquared on DeviantArt.

     Clenching your fist right next to the side of your waist, you hesitantly walked towards the now silent group of townsfolk. The hefty crowd stared at you in a mix of disgust and anger. One of them had even lounged forward, wanting to quickly get into action, yet they were promptly stopped by one of the other townsfolk.

     "You-- __________! You're the one who's started all this!" the gruff voice yelled. "Where's Frank?"

     "That's none of your business." you snapped. "I only came here to try and resolve these matters."

     "This ain't gonna be solved with you actin' like this. All you have to do is stop supporting those Underground freaks!"

     "Why should I?" you challenged, more than questioned, barely able to tolerate such words. "They've given me much more support in three weeks, than you guys have in five years!" you remarked, feeling oddly satisfied with those words.

     From the crowd of townsfolk emerged a tall, slender figure. Their face was bland, with no feature that stood out, their clothes were plain, and their figure looked of neither a man nor a woman.

     "What did ya say?" they challenged, once face to face with you.

     Thus, the confrontation began. You first tried to use methods of speech to calm down the riot, you truly did. However, the townsfolk being a fossilized group of people, who found themselves to be mightier than people of other cultures and same-sex couples, gave no thought of your words. 

     For them, these were just a waste of time and oxygen. Needless to say, you ended up having to use your fists to save both your aunt and sibling. Once having distracted them for a short moment, you went towards your relative in a hurry.

     "C- C'mon. . . Wh- We can beat them to it!" you forced through wheezes and coughs, while outstretching your arm out towards Jessie, who looked at you warily.

     Taking small steps back, Jessie looked at you in pity, and then in shame towards the group of angry townsfolk. A few tears could be seen forming on the edges of her eyes, and her lips quivered softly. Lifting her hand and slowly taking it towards you, she closed her eyes.

     "I'm sorry. . ." she choked out, as she swung her hand towards your hurt, blood-smeared face.

     You could feel your already damaged cheek sting in pain, and you swore your heart almost stopped beating. Lowering your head in a mix of emotions-- these varying from anger to plain regret, you stood up with much struggle, and prepared yourself to run away once more.

     Your legs reacted almost instantly, and your feet preyed at the pale grass-- just like a cheetah would do when spotting their prey. You ran as fast as your legs could carry you. The townsfolk followed closely behind, whereas, for a moment, lost hope of making it out alive-- or with a non-broken bone, at least. You ran and ran, until your legs finally had enough. Stumbling in the middle of one of the streets, you stared at the approaching crowd in horror.

     You were done for.

     Closing your eyes, you waited for the impact, yet were surprised to hear a voice call out your name.

     "__________, you punk! Didn't I tell you to stay outta trouble?!" the voice exclaimed in worry, thus sitting on the ground next to you.

     Looking towards where you had heard the voice, you were surprised and admittedly relieved to find a certain, blue fish monster staring at the now immobile crowd in anger. If looks could kill, her gaze was sure to create quite a killing mass.