Chapter 38.5: The Calm After A Storm

Art made by WingedBlueShell on Deviantart.

     As you entered the home, you were greeted by Frisk. They were standing right in front of the door frame, with watery eyes and a worried frown taking over their usual, determined demeanor.

     Worried over their current state, you decided to question just what was wrong, yet they were too overcome with their emotions, which led for your first question to go unnoticed by them. Again, you called out for them, and this time, you were successful. 

     They faced you with widened eyes, and held on to the border of your shirt for support. The second question you'd made had snapped them out of their trance, which made for their heartbeat to accelerate, and their body to tremble badly.

"Is something the matter, Frisk? You're quite shaky... Did something happen while I was out?'

     In response, they shook their head, and pointed at the nearby kitchen door. They wanted for you to follow them, hence why they took your hand in theirs, and carefully pulled you towards their desired destination. 

     Midway through the kitchen's door, Frisk stopped on their tracks, noticing the worried glance you were giving them along the way. They faced you with what seemed to be hesitation, yet they quickly shook it off, and prepared themselves to converse with you.

"I'm okay... It's with you I need to talk to." they gestured with their hands, while you nodded carefully at their statement.

     Cautiously, you followed the child towards the kitchen, and took a seat on one of the dining chairs. As soon as you were both settled down, they heaved a soft sigh, and tried their best to stay determined. 

     With their trembling, somewhat hesitant hands, they slowly signed their thoughts towards you-- seeing as you were still rusty with this form of communication. Oddly enough, the child questioned over your well-being, and offered to answer any doubt you carried around inside your mind. 

     Finding their signed words quite odd, you questioned if they'd rather speak about what happened to them. Yet, Frisk insisted to talk about your thoughts first.

     You, deciding it was best if you stopped with your insistence-- as well as to face your current conflicts, told them all about your doubts and recent visions. Carefully, you explained to the child about how you felt towards these matters.

     You confessed almost every single thought resting inside your head, and afterwards, you urged for them to tell you what was in their troubled mind instead. This time, they accepted your offer. They took in a deep breath to calm down, and finally, they began with their confessions.

"I think it's about time someone told you about this..." Frisk signed, noticing just how crucial it was for you to finally learn about the monster's world-- before they told what was worrying them. "Almost three years ago, when I was at the Underground... I experienced many new things. From meeting with Toriel, and going as far as to battle with her son to bring freedom for all the monsters. It was a fun, memorable adventure, yet that was soon taken away from us."

     Seeing how they took a pause, you nodded, and offered them a smile in understanding. You carefully reached out for their hand, trying to show them you were eager to hear them out. They'd taken a pause, once they noticed how much they told in just a matter of seconds.

"Before that, though... We spent some lovely moments here, at the Surface, and they'd even asked me if I wanted to be their ambassador. I, however, rejected their offer the second time I chose the Pacifist. The main reason as to why I rejected being their ambassador was because I didn't feel worthy of that anymore... As you may have learned from your months teaching at the monsters' school, each time a human falls down the Underground, they're given the chance to choose between three routes: Pacifist, Neutral, and Genocide. I, of course, eventually 'played' the Genocide route, and felt terrible afterwards." the child took a quick pause, as they tried to prevent tears from falling down.