Chapter 41: Progressing; Confessing

Art made by an-artist-complex on DeviantArt.

~~~~~

     After the meeting at the Town Hall, everyone immediately began to do what they wished before the time came to face their obstacles. Some monsters were safely resting in their homes, while the stronger ones were busily guarding their family and property from any possible danger.

     The humans accompanying them, however, chose to be more discreet about their relationships with the monsters, seeing as they were witnessing frequent news reports on both newspapers and the Internet speaking against these relationships and their development. Just a small, friendly interaction between each other caused for everyone against this to go wild with hatred. Seeing the two races get along was their worst nightmare.

     While others were fighting to obtain harmony between the two races, there were many who desired for that to end in the dust. This you were beginning to notice more often, now that you were out in the streets, with Toriel, Frisk, and the others. Those who witnessed this walked by with a least six feet of distance, avoiding contact with you and your companions as if you were the black plague.

     As you looked at your surroundings, everyone stopped next to the sidewalk of the local shopping center. The sun was shining brightly, yet the wind was murky and humid, signaling that there was a chance it could rain soon. Ever since the storm from many weeks ago, the weather had changed greatly. What was usually a cold, late December morning was now a rainy day, similar to those of July.

     Having already planned everything she would do here beforehand, Toriel gestured for the two children to come towards her, while Papyrus chatted busily with his new boss through the phone, telling them he would soon arrive to work. Sans was, well, asleep while standing up-- It wasn't until Papyrus burst out a goodbye to his boss that he was able to zone back into the group. Once everyone was ready to go about their own ways and Papyrus gave his farewells, you decided to speak up before taking your leave.

     "Are you sure you don't need help?" you questioned towards the goat lady, while she took Frisk by the hand, and offered her other hand at your sibling.

     "It is alright, dear. Once you're finished with what Asgore has requested of you, you can use the rest of this day to enjoy yourself."

     You nodded in understanding, as your hand pushed Frankie's small back, encouraging them to follow Toriel to her destination.

     "D. . . Don't stay out for too long!" they advised, turning themselves around to face your eyes. "It's not safe. . ."

     "Yes, I know." You chuckled, placing a hand over their puffy hair. "Now go and enjoy your day!"

     With that final goodbye, you watched how Toriel left towards the nearby bakery with the two children in hand, while Papyrus dashed his way to the nearby diner where he worked at. Seeing them arrive safely to their destinations, you headed for the supermarket, now being quietly accompanied by the eldest of the two skeleton brothers.

     You walked past a couple of shops, these which looked too empty and dim-lighted to be properly opened yet, and met with many passerby along the way. Once you arrived at your destination, you stood in front of the entrance, and inspected the insides through the glass doors. The doors suddenly slid open, permitting you to enter the building and observe your surroundings better.

     The store, aside from the two cashiers and a few people walking by, was practically empty. There was a static noise emerging from where music usually played, and the air conditioner was set too low in temperature for anyone to shop without a jacket-- or a long-sleeved shirt, at the very least. Everything seemed to be different, despite the fact you barely knew or visited this place much.