Chapter 26: Objection Overrule-s

Art found on Pinterest.

Note: All procedures mentioned ahead are from my country. These are derived from the Caribbean, and I've tried to follow the procedures as similar to them as possible. (A somewhat similar example would be watching 'Quien tiene la razón?'. Though custody trails tend to be much longer than the cases in that show.) The weather is also derived from here, hence why you can see bright, sunny mornings without snow on November.

Now, hope you enjoy!

~~~~~

November 27, 201X
8:57 a.m.
Juvenile Courtroom

     It was finally the day, and you were now standing in front of the large doors, which made you feel rather intimidated when looking up at them. Your skin had goosebumps all over, and the cold air of the building didn't help much. Everything about this building made you feel uneasy, and even more did that feeling increase when seeing the doors slowly open.

     You were instantly greeted by the blinding sunlight that penetrated through the windows. Taking a grip of your papers, you breathed in and tried to calm down. Breathing had become a bit challenge to you, and to stay standing was almost an impossible task. This felt twice as worst as your last job interview back at the factory.

     The room was filled with both people and noise. Everyone seemed to be distracted with their own matters, which led for your presence to go unnoticed. Once you stepped in, a curvy, dark-skinned guard signaled for you to follow her. She led you to a small, polished podium located on the in front of the judge's taller one.

     You stayed firm and still, while putting your hands on top of its surface for a bit of support. Such a grand place as this made you feel overwhelmed, and knowing here you could lose custody of Frankie led you to feel even more wary of where you were.

"Good morning, everyone. Please, settle down. We are about to begin today's trail." the Judge spoke, making everyone sit and quiet down.

     She centered her gaze at both Jessie and you, before continuing on with her speech.

"I've been informed that each of you would like to obtain permanent custody over Frank. One claims that Frank should live on the Village, while the other wishes to not lose their custody. Is that all correct?" the Judge asked, as she her gaze stayed intact.

"Yes." the two of you responded, almost in unison, as you looked at each other from across the room.

"Very well." she continued, while organizing the papers scattered on her podium. "Miss Jones, please, state your claim."

     Hearing her words, Jessie nodded, and fixed her stance. She, unlike you, seemed calm, and showed now signs of insecurity. Her posture and face showed there was something more to her, and you wanted to know her reasons behind that.