Chapter 17: To Trust Or To Reset

Art by cyberxen on Tumblr.

     You both slept peacefully, as if every problem you carried had simply vanished into thin air. Your breaths were steady and your faint snores showed you were yet to wake up.

Witnessing this, Toriel couldn't help but smile warmly at the scene before her.

"Perhaps, we should let the two sleep for a bit longer? There is still quite a lot of time before __________ has to testify." Toriel suggested, hoping to receive an approval.

"I think it is the best thing to do, as well." Papyrus agreed. "Just look at them! They look as if they haven't slept in days!" He agreed, thus signaling over to where the two were sleeping at.

You were sprawled on the long sofa, with your lips slightly parted and with light snores emitting from them. Sans had his skull rested on your chest. His expression was calm and, every now and then, a few louder snores could be heard emitting from his teeth.

A yellow envelope with a few scattered papers were resting on top of Sans's chest.

Apparently, you'd both fallen asleep while reading said papers the night before.

Papyrus, deciding it was best to leave you sleeping on such a place, took out a blanket from the storage closet near him. Once having it in his hands, he walked over towards the two of you, removed the scattered papers, and afterwards tucked you both with the fluffy, orange blanket.

"Well now, shall we go meet up with Undyne? I have left the two a letter stating where we headed off to." Toriel offered, to which Papyrus responded with an energetic nod.

Both Toriel and Papyrus headed off towards Undyne, who was in eager wait for everyone's arrival.

~~~~~

"They're sleeping?!" Undyne questioned, in a mix of disbelief and exasperation.

"Yes, they looked quite tired!" Toriel chimed in. "And they looked just so peaceful together... We couldn't possibly have woken them up!"

"Woah wait a sec... Together?!" Undyne questioned once again, while letting down her coffee cup on the table for emphasis. "Doesn't Sans hate humans?"

Hearing this, Toriel stayed silent. As much as she wanted to say something, she knew it was true. One of the main reasons why such a laid back skeleton hadn't hurt a human was because of the promise she made him do. Hence, she could only form a sad smile in response to those words.

"I — I wouldn't say he hates them!" Papyrus softly intervened, thus breaking the tense silence that had suddenly formed. "He just dislikes the ones he doesn't know very well!"

"Well, I guess this could be one of his exceptions..." Undyne reasoned thoughtfully. "He does take good care of Frisk and Frankie."

Hearing this brighter, and rather positive assumption, Toriel's face brightened up.

"Yes! That must be it!" She agreed, though she had a tinge of doubt resting on her mind and nervousness present in her tone.

~~~~~

You slowly began to open your eyes, while letting a rather loud yawn escape your lips. Now fully aware of your surroundings, you realized your glasses were on the tip of your nose. Once pushing them up, you looked down to your chest — after feeling movement on top of it.