Chapter 31: Chain-ge Reaction

Art made by Tuyoki

    After that big, memorable day, each and every one of you decided it would be nice to celebrate the matter, along with the approaching graduation of some kindergartners, at the humble school next door. That day, after you all arrived home, you went to take a good rest, for there was only one more day until you'd finally continue with school work.

    Morning soon arrived, and you were awoken by something heavy pressing against your chest. Opening your eyes, you were greeted by your sibling, who was smiling brightly at you. They seemed to hold something back, and they were eager to tell you all about the matter they had in mind.

"G- Good morning, _________!" they exclaimed, in a rather nervous way.

"Morning, dear. Is there something wrong?" you questioned, as they let you free from their hold. Once you sat up straight, Frankie sat down next to you, and you could see their face looked ill. "Your face looks very pale."

"U- Uh... I just wanted to ask you something..." they mumbled, while looking away from your eyes.

     You could see they were nervously fumbling with the brim of their shirt, and they shifted nervously on the bed. This was quite unlike Frankie, who was usually bursting with energy, and decisive with what they would do next.

"I'm all ears. Tell me, did something happen while I was asleep?"

"No... I- I kinda just wanted to ask you something..."

"What would it be? I'd be happy to help you out-- unless it's for giving out the answers for Toriel's homework, of course."

"Uh, I was wondering if... I could finally call you (mom/dad)?" they questioned, thus completely taking you aback.

     Frankie had accidentally called said way an innumerable amount of times, and each time you remembered them you were only siblings. You certainly didn't expect they would bring this matter up so soon.

"I... I don't know what to say, Frankie..." you mumbled, as you felt your last bit of drowsiness fade away. "This is quite unexpected, y'know?"

     Even though you weren't sure of your response, knowing that they wanted that made you, in a way, happy. A small, almost unnoticeable smile had shown up on your face, and they quickly took notice of it.

"So... Is that a yes?!" Frankie questioned in pure excitement, as they stood up from the bed. They took hold of your shoulders, while looking at you with bright, hopeful eyes. "Is it?!"

    Frankie looked at you eagerly-- they were waiting for you to respond to their question. You, becoming rather overwhelmed with such a question as this, decided on telling them that you would answer their question later. As much as you loved your sibling, you had to think this through. You didn't want to get their hopes up, and you didn't want to impose such an important role as that of becoming a potential parent.

"Could you give me a moment, Frankie? I'd like to think this through." you explained, as you backed away from Frankie's enclosing figure-- they were as excited as the small dog when you had played fetch with him.

"Su- Sure! I'll wait 'till you're ready!" they agreed, as they gave you a big, warm hug.

      Once satisfied with the hug, Frankie let go of you, and quickly ran out of the room. They left you alone to think through such troubling matter-- at least, for you it was one.

~~~~~

   You took soft steps back towards the living room, while holding one cup of coffee on each hand. Toriel was patiently waiting for your arrival, while reading a book about the different creatures found on the Surface. Once you spotted you, however, she closed the book, and placed it on her lap. She seemed determined on continuing your conversation from earlier, and for you to open up to not just her, but everyone on this humble household.