Chapter 44: Fitting In

Art made by Gigidigi.

     After the incident at the Capitol, your sibling refused to let you out of their sight. They thought it would be dangerous for you to be alone, and that the mist that'd taken over your eyes could most likely make its return.

     With that mentality in mind, they followed you everywhere you went, and they'd even formed a small tantrum when you told them to wait outside the bathroom while you took a shower– which was right after you returned home.

     Luckily, their suspicions didn't become true, and after they fought away the mist by shaking your shoulders and yelling out your name, no other signs of you being in danger showed up. Frisk, who'd taken notice of the incident, gestured for you to follow them to their room– which they shared with Toriel. Once you arrived back home, they explained to you about a similar experience they'd encountered with back when the Barrier was still sealed up. They told you all about the encounter they had with the lost souls, and how they'd been able to rescue them.

     The difference, however, was that they hadn't disappeared— unlike the group of protestors at the Capitol, which led you to wonder over where they could be now. If this mist wasn't to cause their death, they had the possibility to be close by, and somehow, you desired to find them.

     As much as you'd fought with your aunt, this wasn't something you wanted for her. You wanted for her to be free, and to be able to find her way.

     Another day finally arrived after all those dangers you'd experienced, and currently, you were walking towards a nearby shopping center with all the residents of the home you were a part of. Your hand was being held by Frankie, who still insisted they had to watch over you, whereas the other human child was holding onto Toriel's hand. The two skeleton brothers were exchanging some playful banter, while the goat lady near them couldn't avoid the small fits of laughter this scenery caused her.

     Everyone was oddly calm with the current situation in hand. It was if they were trying to focus on more positive things, and they were hopeful that news regarding what'd happened to the protestants would most likely arrive soon. They were going to continue on with the plans they had in mind, and they weren't going to let these incidents to block away their progression.

     One thing they'd planned to do after they spoke with the Governor was that they would begin to put their lives back on track.

     With all the incidents that'd transpired along the course of this year, they were barely able to enjoy its last month. It was already the twenty-eight of December, and they hadn't managed to celebrate the holidays. Aside from the Christmas party they'd held at the beginning of this month, they hadn't taken any other breaks.

     After your arrival at the Underground, it had been one problem arriving right after another: your three-day coma, the storm, the trail over the custody of your sibling, the argument with the Mayor of the Town, and many others had caused for the remaining months left of this year to go by as fast as a gust of wind. Not once had anyone been given a break that could last more than a day or two.

     "We must celebrate the end of this year, at least!" Toriel spoke up, while everyone took a quick stop at the border of the sidewalk, wanting to focus their attention on her. "Since we have missed the twenty-fifth, and the children have already begun their winter vacation, I think it would be nice if we all gathered somewhere."