Chapter 45: Lost Souls

After witnessing Flowey's 'puppet play' from across the small television screen, you didn't waste any time on exiting the shopping center, and telling everyone that you would deal with these urgent matters by your own accord. This led for your sibling, a goat lady and a tall skeleton to worry over your safety, which caused for them to try convince you that they could help, yet you refused. The ones who'd encouraged you to go were Frisk and Sans, saying how they could follow you, at the very least, to the entrance of the Underground. 

     You nodded in response to your offers, and with that reaction, they both accompanied you towards your rather unplanned adventure back into the Underground. Your plan, however, didn't result like you were expecting it to, for as your lowered yourself down the hole, with the help of a rope that Frisk had tied up over a rock, Sans brought himself down with you, leading for a confused look on your part.

     "Didn't you say it was only until the entrance?" You questioned, with an arched eyebrow and a confused frown visible on your face.

     "Well, it ain't like I promised to do that." He responded, whilst adding a wink to strengthen his statement.

     Rather taken aback by his words, you allowed for him to follow you further into the Underground, yet the more places you passed by, the more reluctant he seemed to leave your side.

     Eventually, you managed to arrive at Snowdin, where he promptly suggested that the both of you could give a quick visit to Waterfall before you left in search for Flowey and the lost souls.

    "I. . . just want to say goodbye first." He explained to you, with a faint sigh escaping from his teeth. "Tori. . . Paps. . . Heck, even Frankie managed to say goodbye earlier, but I'm still here somehow." He chuckled lightly at his own words, as he rubbed at the back of his skull with his hand. 

~~~~~

     After what you assumed were fifteen minutes of walking around, you finally arrived at the dim-lighted, quiet location known as Waterfall, where you took a seat on the ground next to the pouring waters and falling rocks. You decided that it would be nice to relax for a while until you left for definitive.

     You kicked softly at the water with your sneakers, while allowing for the bubbling noises and faint winds of the Waterfall to calm down your worried self. Sans stood next to you, with his bare, skeletal feet dipped in the water. The both of you were trying to say farewell, as you did insist you had to confront this matter alone. This decision made for the goodbye to be rather difficult to say out loud, and you noticed that this small trip to Waterfall was just a way for him to stay a moment longer with you.

     Noticing the gloomy aura that was resting over the two of you, you cautiously placed your hand over his, which was lying next to his side, and directed a warm smile towards him. In response, he lifted his gaze from the water, and faced you with reluctant eye sockets.

     "Be careful out there, then. . ." Sans removed his hand away from yours, and placed it rather carefully over your left shoulder. Once you met again with his irises, he squeezed his hold in what appeared to be hesitation, and after a long pause, he continued on with his words. "You've come far now. It'd be a waste to go back to square one."

     In response to his warnings, you nodded your head, and as you were about to get up to leave, he held you back by holding onto your arm. His grip was strong, almost as if he feared what you were about to encounter with next. You looked back at him, and noticed his smile had faltered lightly.

     "I'll be alright." You assured him, whilst offering him your most honest of smiles, and attempting to get up again.

     Luckily, you weren't held back this time, though the look on his skull was enough to show that he didn't wish to let you go just yet.