Chapter 12: Afterparty

Gif by Lang95 on Tumblr

     You stared intently at the star-filled sky, as if searching for an answer in it. The beautiful, night sky lightly shone due to the many astral dots that made themselves present. Crickets chirped loudly, filling the ambiance with a soft, cheery tune. The cool breeze hit your soft, exposed skin, thus making you shudder in response. As you did, you could feel something wrap around your shoulders. You looked behind you, and you instantly wished you hadn't done so.

     Behind you stood a short, smiling skeleton, dressed in a white, elegant polo, along with a pair of dress pants and shoes. Now looking at your shoulders, you realized it was the coat that went with his dress pants. The missing piece of his outfit was on your shoulders.

     "You still wanna catch a cold, __________?" he questioned in amusement, with his permanent grin widening ever so slightly.

     In response, a soft smile appeared over your lips. Even with everything that was going through your mind, you couldn't negate that receiving such an unexpected visit had slightly cheered you up. You looked towards him, thinking through just what to say, but alas, nothing could cross your mind. As you were about to blurt out some incoherent words, the skeleton outstretched his bony hand towards you.

     "Wanna have the next dance with me?" he softly asked, surprising himself with those words.

     "Sure. . ." you mumbled, taken aback by the sudden offer made to you.

     The two of you walked back to the party, with your arms interlocked with each other. Though, this was rather hard to do due to the height difference. As you entered, the soft, classical music was suddenly put to a stop. A familiar robot had spotted the two of you enter the building. He, seeing this as the signal, nudged on a certain, sociallyawkward ghost. The ghost quickly caught on, and went to change the music. In a matter of seconds, the music went from soft and harmonious, to loud and energetic.

     The two of you, who were already in position to begin a formal dance, looked at each other. Sans's grin was much wider than normal, while your gaze seemed confused, and it searched for an answer. To this, the small skeleton mouthed-- or rather, teethed the words: 'Follow me', to which you nodded lightly in response.

     Taking both of your hands in his, the skeleton separated himself from you, to which you mimicked by separating yourself as well, whilst still holding unto his bony hands. Then, he let go of your right hand, and began to sway his hipbones, while sliding short distances from left and right through the slippery dance floor. Seeing this, you quickly caught on, and did the same, a bit more clumsily, however, due to seeing such surprising movements.

     The short skeleton continued, this time sliding with much more freedom, and while doing quick shuffles with his feet. After repeating the same movements-- this time quicker and with unison, the two of you grew accustomed to these steps, and you were now awaiting eagerly for the next steps.

     Thus, the dance continued. The two of you repeated the same movements, while adding some spontaneous movements here and there. The movements were quick, making you wonder just how were you able to catch up with the surprisingly swift skeleton. 

     He mixed movements, from twirling you around while quickly separating yourselves from each other to perform a moonwalk, and afterwards, gliding yourselves from left to right through the dance floor. It was becoming a rather challenging dance to convey, yet you were enjoying each second of it.

     Once the music's pace change, you both swiftly moved your legs around your interlocked hands-- one final time and in unison. Quickly, yet gracefully, the two of you let yourselves fall down to the marble-tiled floor, succeeding on ending the dance right on time with the music.