Chapter 47: Salvaged; Reunited

You exited the Underground, instantly being greeted by the early morning sun, and the soft winter breeze. With so many events unfolding, the day had come to an end, with another one making it's presence over the sky. The lack of sleep was slowly taking its presence over your body, as you walked further away from the Underground. You were being accompanied by your human friends, with an asleep Frankie safe in your hold. Everyone was busy exchanging words with one another, ecstatic with everything that had just unfolded.

     "Are you going to wait for them, then?" Laura questioned towards you, referring to both Toriel and Asgore, who were having a private moment with their son back on Core's main grounds.

     "Yeah. . . I want to see how everything'll turn out for them." You responded, as you offered your hand to Frisk.

     Noticing the gesture, Frisk walked to your side and took your free hand, whilst you began to say your goodbye to your human friends. Some waved goodbye, a few smiled, and gave you a hug before taking their leave. They walked close to one another, as they were feeling faint due to the confrontation they had at Core. Everyone's souls had managed to calm down Flowey's rampage, and a few people, such as yourself, had fainted afterwards. Once everyone recovered, you were suggested to head outside the Underground's premises, as Toriel and Asgore still had much left to do before they left.

     "I'll call you tomorrow to let you know how everyone's doing."

     "Alright." Laura nodded, as she and the others waved one final goodbye at you. "Stay safe, __________!"

      With that goodbye, you were left alone with Frisk and your sibling. You sat down on a patch of grass nearby, as you patted the empty space left next to you. Frisk smiled lightly, accepting your offer by laying down next to you.

     "So. . . This is it, huh?" You mumbled, hugging Frankie close to your chest. "I didn't think this would all be possible."

     "Same here." Frisk signed, with a rather amused smile apparent over their face. "Everything happened so fast. . . I still haven't gotten around this."

     "Well. . . I guess we'll have some time to think after this is ov--"

     "__________. . ." A familiar, though distant voice called out, making you turn your head around towards their direction.

     Your father was standing near the exit of the Underground, with a reluctant expression visible over his face. He took hesitant steps forward, not knowing what else to say or do. He continued to walk closer to you, until he was able to stand an arm's distance away from you.

     "Are you and Frankie well?" He blurted out, with a hopeful smile now present on his features.

     "We're doing well." You responded, letting out a small sigh. "I. . . wasn't expecting your return."

     "I- I'm sorry. . . for having left you and Frankie as abruptly as I did."

     "I understand." You spoke quickly, your tone now lacking emotion. "This is just a bit sudden. . . to see you talking with me again."

     "I see. . ." He mumbled, looking down at his feet.

     He shifted lightly on his feet, giving some thought to what he should do next. It was currently six in the morning, the sun was shining brightly, and it was the start of a brand new day, hence why he didn't wish to ruin this by pushing these boundaries further.

     "I just wanted to say. . . good luck." He began, hesitating on making contact with you. "I see you've gone far, and even though I haven't been there to experience it, I'm immensely proud of what you've done. I hope we can one day share some time together, hopefully. . . with Frankie awake."