Chapter 67

The next few weeks were so busy, with my dad being discharged from the hospital and was slowly recovering the best he could; Cheryl's family and friends had all hands on deck, helping my parents, my sister and my nephew move into their new home in London. 

'Cheryl?' I whined tiredly, rolling over to my gorgeous girlfriend in bed. 

'Mhmm?' The blonde was sat upright with her iPhone glued to her hand.

'I know you love your fans and I have no problem with that. But can you stop creeping on them for five minutes to give me a back rub? It's killing!' I knew that Cheryl had been distracted from her fans lately and wanted to make them know she was still devoted to them but she was on her phone all day. I didn't know what was going on but I felt like a part of me wanted to know and a part of me didn't. 

'I'm not surprised.' I heard Cheryl giggle as she locked her phone and lightly tossed onto the bedside cabinet. 'You carried that TV in all on your own! And the wardrobe!' 

'You've also had your phone glued to your hand all day...' I raised an eyebrow. 'You're not, you know.' I spoke nervously.

'I'm not what?' The blonde's face was now looking confused.

'Well you're not... speaking to anyone else are you?' I gulped loudly as I saw the shock arise on Cheryl's face. 

'You seriously think that Nic?'

'No no... Aw, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just insecure. After Frankie and the other bitch, I get scared. You're the best I've had, I can't lose you.'

'Hush baby' The Geordie cooed as she wrapped her delicate arms around my shoulders. 'I can't imagine anyone to treat me any better than you do. I don't want anyone else, I promise you.'

'So who's on the other end of that phone?'

'The paparazzi. They are all over us like a rash, especially today.' 

'Well... are you okay with that? I tread carefully, knowing that plenty of conversations including this subject turned terribly wrong. 

'Of course I am.' 

'Babe, I know that we have fallen out so many times about this before, but honestly. I now understand that you're the one in the limelight. You're the one that's going to get the criticism. So you have to be ready and if you're not, I'd rather you talk to me about it.' I now turned to face the beauty. 

'Nic, I am ready. Really, I am. I'm so excited, I can't contain myself. I just need you to know that there is going to be stuff written everywhere. Surreal stuff, that won't even be real. I don't want that to break us up.' Cheryl dropped her gaze down to the bed, her arms where now down in front of her and she was fiddling at the silk sheets. 

'I know that that has always been your fear Cheryl. I remember waking up and hearing you cry at the end of the bed because you had a bad dream about it. I may not be used to the paps or being in the public eye. But I know that I can trust you Chez. I will only know something is wrong when you seem on edge, not when those guys are hyped.' I pulled my girlfriend's hands away from the sheets carefully and held them tight. 'I'll never believe anyone else but you.' 

'I love you so much Nic!' Cheryl giggled through her tear stained face. 

'And I love you too Chez. I think we both need to get some sleep. I'm exhausted and you have work in the morning.' I poked the tip of the Geordie's nose making her deep dimples reappear. 

**

The next morning, Cheryl had to whip into a meeting with Simon Cowell, something to do with the upcoming series of The X Factor. This left me alone in my new office with an inspirational mind and a jitter of motivation. Sat in front of me was many scrunched up balls of paper scattered all over the desk. I had no chance. What if I was just a one trick pony. What if writing Rihanna's hit was just a one off. I had got myself in a predicament. My guitar was in between my legs and a pen behind my left ear. 

I pushed away from my desk and pulled myself up from my chair, I had no chance. Intentionally I had left my business phone on the side. No one rang, I got no interest, no work. Nobody knew who I was and it put me in a stinking mood. About to flick the switch off, I heard Cheryl's voice singing to me and my business phone lit up and vibrated against the wooden desk. 

When I got closer to the phone, I realised I didn't recognise the number. I knew my anxiety started building as I was becoming short of breath and pools of sweat was developing on my palms. I needed to stop my anxiety from flaring every time my phone rang. I complained five minutes ago that I didn't get any work and now I can't even answer the stupid phone! I snapped myself away from my crazy thoughts and answered the phone before the caller hung up. 

'H-Hello... N-Nicole speaking. How can I h-help?' I stuttered ridiculously.

'Hey there, I hope I have the right number. It's Brad from The Vamps. I heard you had written Rihanna's Diamonds and I really need some help writing our next hit. Could you help us?' 

Was I actually hearing this right? I had yet another pop star contact me personally asking for help on their new potential number one single. 

'Hello?' The young man called down the phone again awaiting on my response. 

'Yeah, yeah, I'd love to help! I'm such a big fan of yours.'

'Aw thanks Nicole. I'm a big fan of your work, that's why I was keen to track down your contact number. Could you meet up with us sometime?'

A short conversation occurred to meet the following afternoon before ending the call and feeling confident, for once.