Chapter 72

'Please let me in Lily.' I was stood at Cheryl's front door. I had had enough of waiting around and not fighting for the one I love. I needed to get her back. 

'Nicole, she told me to answer the door and turn them away, no matter who it was.' Lily frowned sympathetically. 

'Please. I've written her a song.' I bit my lip nervously, holding out my guitar. 'I love her Lily, I swear I do and you're the only thing from stopping her believing me.' I sighed before carrying on once more. 'Just give me fifteen minutes and if she's still not impressed, then you can physically throw me out yourself. I just need to know in my own head that I tried.' 

Moments of silence had passed. It felt like hours that I was stood outside of my ex girlfriend's front door in the bitter cold pleading her best friend for me to be in her existence one more time. Then the door opened wider. 

'I'm only doing this because I know it's going to do Cheryl the world of good seeing your face again. But she looks shocking and Kimberley and Frankie are also in there with her.' Lily then spoke again. 

As I walked through the familiar hall, it felt like everything had gone untouched. When I got to the door of the lounge, Cheryl was facing the other way, her back towards me. 

'Chez?' I almost whispered, trying to stop a tear falling from my eye. 

'Nicole?' The brunette instantly stood up and trudged towards me, like it was taking all her effort to move. 

'Why didn't you call?' I asked again, almost cringing for her response. 

'I don't know. Nic, you look awful.' Cheryl sighed as she was about to put her soft hand upon my cheek but thought better of  her actions before putting both arms back by her side. Her touch was something I craved so bad but I knew it wasn't going to be so easy. 

Her eyes were red and puffy but sporting heavy black bags underneath them. Her skin was pale and pasty. Her brunette hair was up in the messiest bun I have ever seen and the Geordie was dressed in an over sized pair of joggers and a hoodie that looked familiar. It was one of my hoodies.  

I shrugged her last comment off as politely as I possibly could. 'I've not come here to cause trouble Chez. I've written you a song and I want you to hear it.' I then croaked. 

Frankie and Kimberley quickly scrambled for their drinks and left the room, leaving me alone with the broken brunette. 

The beauty looked shocked by the words I had just spoken but sat back down in her position. I saw that her three friends had slowly joined her side as I perched on the end of a footstool with my guitar on my lap. 

'Its either now or never.' I whispered to myself as I strummed a few chords. 

'I would like to say that I
Never meant to make you cry
I think about you every day
No matter what your friends might say
Everybody knows my name
Even though I'm still the same
I just would like to say that I
I never ever meant to make you cry

I would like to know
Why there are clouds in the sky
Every time I fall in love
And I would like to know
Why I'm sitting here on my own
I would like to know
Why when I find a nice girl
Someone I can lean upon
I mess it all up and then
I wonder why I'm all alone
Tell me if you think that I
I'm talking way too much
Tell me if you'd like to stay in touch

I would like to say that I
Never meant to make you cry
I think about you every day
No matter what your friends might say
Everybody knows my name
Even though I'm still the same
I just would like to say that I
I never ever meant to make you cry

Sitting on the sofa
Letting life go by
Thinking about the early days
Thinkin' 'bout the times when I
Hurt you with my crazy ways
All I want to do is
Look around for you yeah
Drivin' till the break of dawn
And
Pleading till your coming home
Tell me if you think that I
I've been I bit to much
Tell me if you'd like to stay in touch

I would like to say that I
Never meant to make you cry
I think about you every day
No matter what your friends might say
Everybody knows my name
Even though I'm still the same
I just would like to say that I
I never ever meant to make you cry

cry
I didn't mean to be so cruel
(I didn't mean to be so cruel)
I didn't mean to let you down
(I didn't mean to let you down)
So sorry for the rain
On your terrain
And all the pain
You must have gained because of me

I would like to say that I (I would like to say)
Never meant to make you cry
I think about you every day (oh every day)
No matter what your friends might say
Everybody knows my name
Even though I'm still the same (still the same)
I just would like to say that I
I never ever meant to make
I never ever meant to make you cry'

The song had come to an end and all four of the girls were wiping away their tears, especially Cheryl. But there was silence. An awkward kind of silence. 

'Well I promised Lily that if you weren't impressed then I would leave so that is what I'll do. I'm really sorry Cheryl and it was nice seeing you again.' I sighed, leaving tears to trail down my face. I kissed her forehead lightly, breathing in my favourite scent before picking up my guitar and leaving the lounge. 

'Wait!' I heard a voice and when I spun on my heel, I saw a very forgiving Cheryl run for me and latch her arms around my neck. 'I've missed you.' 

'I've missed you too Chez, I'm so sorry.' I wrapped my arms around her waist holding her so tight to me. 

'Come home baby, please?' Cheryl begged me once more before I tasted her salty lips for the first time in weeks.