Chapter 12 - A ride to hell

I looked at the picture of my mom and me, now damaged by water, and that was all it took for my tears to burst. I had grieved for losing my mom so many times, but during those times, I had Grandma with me, so I never felt truly alone. Tonight was different. Tonight, I felt the reality of what awaits me in this new world. The people at the party tonight somehow reminded me of what I had lost. I clutched the locket tightly to my chest as I cried into oblivion. I spent a whole hour crying until my tired eyes slowly closed, and everything darkened into nothingness.

I woke to the sound of glass shattering downstairs. It was still dark outside, and I didn't know how long I had been sleeping, but I could still feel the heaviness around my eyes from crying. I decided to check downstairs, so I put on my robe and went out of my room.

I heard noises coming from the kitchen, so I went there. The kitchen was dark, with only the light from the fridge, which had been left open, illuminating the room. I saw a figure leaning on the kitchen counter, and as I got closer, I realized it was Devin.

"Devin?"

He turned around swiftly, too fast, and knocked himself down. He stayed slumped on the floor, laughing while holding an almost empty bottle of scotch. As I got near him, I smelled the strong scent of alcohol and cigarettes all over him.

Dear Lord, please, I don't want to deal with Devin Archer, especially since he's completely drunk.

"Oh, hey sis!" He tried getting up but slipped and knocked himself back down. I saw him trying to push himself up again, so I knelt in front of him to help. He tried to push me away, but he was so drunk that his movements were all over the place. He managed to get up with my help, and I kept my arms around him to steady him.

"Awwww, thanks sis! You're the best!" He roughly grabbed my face and gave me a peck on the cheek.

"Devin?" Amanda rushed into the kitchen with my Dad beside her. I saw the look of horror in Amanda's eyes when she saw the broken glass and Devin.

"What happened? Are you... are you drunk?"

"Great! Just what I've been waiting for! We've got the whole family here now, eh?" Devin's eyes went dark at the sight of our parents. His lips had a chilling smile on them.

"Come on, son, let's get you home." My Dad walked towards Devin and put his hand on his shoulder. Devin's eyes flared with anger as he felt the weight of my father's arm on his shoulder. He pushed my father hard and glared at him.

"You! Don't get to call me your son! And what the fuck? Are you trying to kick me out of my own house?"

"Devin... honey, please stop it," Amanda pleaded.

"No, you don't get it!" Devin shouted, slamming his fist on the table. "This man is a thief! He robbed my Dad's company, he robbed me! He took my family from me! And now he brought his daughter here to help him steal more money from me!" Devin lashed out. Amanda was crying while my dad stayed rooted behind her.

"Hey." I touched his shoulder and prayed he would not lash out at me like he did to my Dad. I realized that he was a human ticking time bomb. Any more provocation and he would blow.

"You're drunk, and we can't settle things if you're in this state. Please let me help you upstairs..."

"I don't need your help!" Devin grabbed me by the shoulder and pushed me away hard. I stumbled backward, crashing into a tall vase, tears welling up in my eyes as I felt the pain in my back.

Amanda and my Dad rushed to my side, checking for any injuries while Devin stayed rooted in his place. I thought I saw guilt reflected in his eyes, giving me hope for a split second before it was immediately replaced with his cold, dark stare.

"Look at you three. You look like the holy family; too bad your husband doesn't deserve the title," Devin mocked.

I was surprised when Amanda suddenly stood up and faced her son.

"Your father died in a hotel with another woman." Amanda's soft but cold voice brought Devin's eyes back to his mother. "He had a heart attack while having sex with his woman."

Devin's face fell along with the arrogance that had previously radiated in the room. His mouth hung open, his lips slightly parted, and his eyes were as wide as they could stretch. I noticed his tightly closed fist opening and closing repeatedly.

"You're lying! Stop lying!"

"You were just ten when I first found out about him cheating on me. I let it go, but then it happened again multiple times. The following year, I found out his new secretary of five months had a miscarriage, and the baby was his. That was when I told him that I couldn't take it anymore. I had to undergo therapy because I was in deep depression. I asked him for a divorce, but he was concerned that it would generate a huge buzz in the media and affect his business."

"Stop! We both know he died in his office alone!" Devin screamed, covering his ears like a four-year-old.

"He used you to convince me not to file for divorce. He said I should think about how the divorce would affect you. He said it would ruin you. I love you, and I didn't want that life for you, so I stayed. Yes, we slept in the same room when you were with us, but when he was away on business trips, he was with his women."

"Stop messing with my head! You and your gold digger of a husband ruined our family. You ruined my life!" My heart shattered as I saw the pain reflected in Devin's eyes. He looked down and closed his eyes. His clenched fists were now trembling. When he looked up again, his face was expressionless, with no sign of feelings.

"You should have told me all that crap back when it could have made a difference," he said, then walked away.

"Devin! Devin!" Amanda called while rushing to him, crying, but Devin didn't stop walking. My Dad rushed behind Amanda and stopped her.

"Let him go. He needs time to process all of this."

"But he's drunk, George! I know Devin. He will hurt himself!"

Realizing that Amanda was right and that Devin was really drunk and in a bad state, I quickly ran after him. I don't know how to drive, but I can make sure that he won't hurt himself or others.

I went out the door and saw him walking towards his car.

"Where are you going?!" I called out behind him.

"To hell!" he replied without looking back at me.

"You're drunk! You can't drive. It's not safe!"

Devin stopped in front of his car and then turned around to face me.

"Well, that's even better, isn't it?" He smirked, then went to the driver's side of his car. I ran and opened the passenger side door as soon as I heard him unlock his car and quickly got inside before he could stop me.

"What the hell are you doing?!" he screamed at me when he saw me putting on my seat belt.

"I can't let you drive alone. I'm coming with you."

"Well then, say hello to hell."

I held on to my seat tightly, feeling afraid for my life as Devin pushed the accelerator hard and let his car fly down the road.

**********************
My heart's still aching for Devin 😭
How was this chapter? A bit of revelation there, yeah?
Thanks for reading! See you next time!

Anna xx