Mixed Emotions (Tratie/One-Shot)

Katie Gardner sat on the huge rock near the lake. She sighed. One of the Stolls, Travis, had just pulled a prank on her. Apparently he thought it would be funny to spray paint her gardening box (and cabin!) with smiley faces that had tongues out and crossed out eyes. She was mad at him yet, she was ready to forgive him at any moment. Her thoughts were disturbed by a voice that was seemingly calling out to her.

"Katie?" the voice said, unmistakably familiar. "What are you doing here?"

She recognized the voice instantly. She turned around to find the concerned face of Travis Stoll. She got off the rock and approached him.

"Why do you care? And I could ask you that question myself." she snapped and then mentally slapping herself after that. It came out harsher than she expected.

"I came to apologize. If you don't want me here now it's ok. I-"

"No no it's fine." Katie cut him off. For some reason she didn't feel so angry anymore.

"Um so I, uh came to say sorry." He looked to his side while awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

Katie nodded. "Continue."

"And I'm really sorry for the pranks I played on you." he said genuinely, his voice filled with regret.

A small smile played on Katie's lips. "You and Connor played a lot more pranks on the other campers. And they were worse than the ones you played on me. Why are you apologizing to me first?" she questioned though she already knew the answer.

Travis faced the ground and developed a sudden interest in his shoes. Katie swore she saw him blush tomato red before facing her once again. Nervousness seeped into his voice when he resumed talking.

"I uh, you see, I sorta, um." He stammered, glancing around.

"Are you okay?" Katie asked, her face filled with worry.

"Yeah. It's just... I'm just having trouble saying that I-I.." She could see his face getting redder by the second. Then, after a few moments he blurted it out.

"I like you."

"You do?" Katie said,her expression priceless.

"Yea I do like you. No, not like. I love you" He held her hands as he talked, his gaze never leaving her eyes. "I understand if you don't feel the same way. In fact, I should probably-"

"No don't! I mean if you want to then maybe yeah but uh." It took Katie a few seconds to realize she was getting flustered. She inhaled.

"The truth is Travis, I love you too." The look on his face made her want to hug him but she restrained herself from doing so. She continued. "At first my feelings were indefinite but now I know the only thing fighting against that feeling were the mean jokes."

Travis smiled sheepishly. "Yeah about that..." he began but Katie interrupted.

"Travis it's ok. I forgive you."

"You do?"

"Yes, I do. For all those times you hurt me."

Travis took one step one step closer to Katie. "Then can I ask something?"

She felt her face getting hotter. "Go ahead."

"Katie will you be my gir-"

She couldn't hold it in anymore. She kissed him, leaving him speechless.

"Yes of course I will Travis."

Travis grinned from ear to ear and picked her up and landed her gently on her feet. They stared at each other for about 2 minutes and resumed hugging.

"I love you Katie." Travis whispered, kissing her forehead.

"I love you too Travis." Katie said, tears of joy forming in her eyes.

They had never felt this happy before. And that's the way they plan things to be until the end of time. Together.