By Your Side (Annabeth|Athena/Headcanon)

For Annabeth, it went by in a flash in Athens. One minute she was fighting for her life and the next, a feeling of strength and power filled her, glowing in her veins. She risked looking next to her, hoping for the best, and saw that one woman she was unprepared to see. Glowing with the aura only an immortal could have, Athena had the battle face Annabeth usually had on. It was a mere millisecond before Annabeth regained her focus. Instincts she had developed from all her years (or you could simply say inherited from her parent) kicked in. They battled together, mother and daughter. When it was over, each of the Seven were with their godly parent, and Annabeth could see that Jason was at the tip of a cliff with Zeus.

But it was only a while before Annabeth was shaken from her thoughts. A feminine but stern voice holding authority broke through her wall of hazy thoughts.

"Annabeth-"

"I get it Mom. I'm a failure, I'm a disappointment. You don't have-"

"Annabeth, hear me out." Athena had a dangerous edge in her voice, one only the goddess herself could possess. "In whichever form I am, Greek or Roman, know that you are never a disappointment to me. I am very, very proud of you. Not once have you ever failed me. I know what I said, and for that I can sincerely tell you that I wasn't in my right state of mind. I am truly sorry. No matter what I say, I love you, and you are my pride and joy. I mean it. Wisdom stays with you for every second, Annabeth. Whenever it seems like I am not there, I am. You just don't realize it. You must remember that I am a goddess, but I am also a mother. Your mother. It is my job to keep you safe and let you know that you are loved. I will always stay by your side. No matter what."

And Annabeth just broke down in tears. She never realized how much she loved her mother until then.

"I-I love you."

Athena smiled warmly. She hugged Annabeth briefly. "Better clean up a bit. Don't want to show them you've been crying, do you?"

"No."

"That's my daughter."

*-*-*-*

AWW WASN'T THAT JUST SWEET

DEMI WAS DISTRACTING ME SO MUCH IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO WRITE

But would you like another family headcanon like this? Just asking.

Also, I was singing Next To You when writing this.