Chapter 1

I DONT OWN DIVERGENT, JUST THIS IDEA.

The beginning of this novel is told from the end of initiation, when the initiates get their results. Enjoy!

The room is silent as we all listen to Eric talk about initiation. I don't thing anyone cares about what he is saying. Everyone is too anxious for the results.

"Tomorrow, in their first act as members, our top ten initiates will choose their professions, in the order of how they are ranked," Eric says. "The rankings, I know, are what everyone is really waiting for. They are determined by a combination of three scores- the first, from the combat stage of training; the second from the simulation stage; and third, from the final examination, the fear landscape. The rankings will appear on the screen behind me."

As soon as the word "me" leaves his mouth, the names appear on the screen, which is almost as large as the wall itself. Next to the number one is my picture, and the name "Tris."

A weight in my chest lifts. I didn't realize it was there until it was gone, and I didn't have to feel it anymore. I smile, and a tingling spreads through me. First. Divergent or not, this faction is where I belong.

I forget about war; I forget about death. Will's arms wrap around me and he gives me a bear hug. I hear cheering and laughing and shouting. Christina points at the screen, her eyes wide and filled with tears.

1. Tris   2. Uriah   3.Lynn   4.Marlene   5.Peter

Peter stays. I supress a sigh. But then I read the rest of the names

6.Will   7.Christina

I smile, and Christina reaches across the table to hug me. I am too distracted to protest against the affection. She laughs in my ear.

Someone grabs me from behind me and shouts in my ear. It's Uriah. I can't turn around, so I reach back and squeeze his shoulder.

"Congratulations!" I shout.

"You beat them!" He shouts back. He releases me, laughing, and runs into a crowd of Dauntless-born initiates.

I crane my neck to look at the screen again. I follow the list down.

Eight, nine, and ten are Dauntless-borns whose names I barely recognize.

Eleven and twelve are Molly and Drew.

Molly and Drew are cut. Drew, who tried to run away while Peter held me by the throat over the chasm, and Molly, who fed the Erudite lies about my father are factionless.

It isn't quite the victory I wanted, but it's a victory nonetheless.

Will and Christina kiss, a little too sloppily for my taste. All around me is the pounding of Dauntless fists. Then I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see Tobias standing behind me. I get up, beaming.

"You think giving you a hug would give away too much?" he says.

"You know," I say, "I really don't care."

I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his.

It is the best moment of my life.

We eventually pull away, and Tobias gets pulled in by a crowd and dissappears. I heard him say somethimg like "I'll find you later," but his voice was muffled by the crowd. I turn back to Will and Christina, and they sit staring at me. Their jaws dropped.

"What?" I say, my face getting hot and probably bright red.

"You, and Four? You're a thing?" Will asks confused.

Christina sits stunned for a second, then smiles widely, showing her back molars. "OH MY GOSH. You and... Four?! Sit Tris, I need details!" I sit, smiling on one hand, but a little embarressed on the other.

"Shh! I don't really want a lot of people to know. They might think that I used Four to get my first rank." I say, remembering to still call Tobias "Four" around other people. My face still feels a little warm

"Oh, Sorry!" she says. "But really, tell me when!"

"Alright! I don't really know, but I'll tell you later." I say. I don't really know what to say. I've never talked about a relationship, mainly because I have never been in one.

"So? Aren't you guys happy? We're officially Dauntless!" Will says. A smile stretches across his face. He looks at Christina, she looks back, and they grasp hands on the table. I feel like a third wheel.

After a second, they snap back to reality and, still holding hands, turn back to me.

"Of course I am." I say, calmly, but still full of joy. I don't want to seem to boastful about my rank. Gleefully, Christina says, "So let's go celebrate with cake!" We all get up from our table and start walking toward the food line.

Once we get out of the line, me and Christina hold a plate with a big slice of cake on it and Will holds 2 plates with the same amount of cake on it. We laugh and head toward the Pit so we can have our own celebration. On our way to the doors, we see Molly and Drew sitting at a table, alone. I feel a little twinge of guilt for them, now that they are factionless, but one part of me still remembers Drew's hands grabbing me and pulling me toward the chasm, and Molly's words about my appearance and my father. Those thoughts make the guilt go away.

Once we get to the pit, we sit down on the floor in one of the hallways near the main part of the pit. It was so loud in the dining hall that I hear a little ringing in my ears.

Each of us start picking at our cake on our plates. "I can't wait to get an apartment." Christina says. "I can finally sleep in a room that only I am sleeping in." I nod. Tomorrow we get new apartments to live in. I am really happy about that. I can sleep to the sound of my own breaths, and I won't have to worry about Peter or anyone stabbing me in my sleep.

About an hour and a half of cake eating and laughing and discussing jobs, we decide to go back to the dormitory to get ready. Eric extended bedtime because of the celebration. Even though we had a half hour til bedtime, Christina and I decided on showering.

After our shower, we sit on the beds in our dormitory. I hoped Christina forgot about my relationship with Tobias and wouldn't ask again. Thank God she forgot.

Everyone starts to file in after us. Molly and Drew already left. Their beds stripped and every drawer clean. Uriah comes in and gives me a high five. Marlene and Lynn give me a small congratulations because they are all tired from celebrating.

I lay down in my bed and think about today. I think about how I handled my fears, and then get to the real reason I'm thinking about my day. I don't think anyone is as excited as I am. No one else is first rank. I smile to myself and go to sleep. Even though i had only seven fears, they still exausted me.

A/N THANK YOU ALL FOR GIVING THIS FAN FICTION A TRY! IT MEANS A LOT. NOW I DONT REALLY HAVE A BUSY SCHEDULE, SO ONCE I GET A COUPLE OF READS AND REVIEWS, I WILL POST THE OTHER CHAPTERS (WHICH ARE ALREADY DONE ;) ). THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!

PS I DONT THINK ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS IDEA. IVE READ FANFICTIONS THAT ARE DIFFERENT FROM MINE, SO I DECIDED TO WRITE MY OWN. I HAVE NOT IN ANY WAY TRIED TO STEAL IDEAS OR THOUGHTS.