Chapter 8

As I open the door, I see Tobias on the floor, clutching his arm.

"Tobias!" I scream.

I look down the hall and see Eric pointing a gun at me.

"Take another step towards him, you'll both be history." He says.

I stand there frozen, and Tobias says "Tris, run."

"I can't do that." I whisper.

I think fast. I grab Tobias's leg and pull him into my apartment. Another gunshot goes off and hits Tobias in the same arm. He grits his teeth in pain and I slam the door shut.

"Why didn't you go Tris?!" He yells.

"I couldn't just leave you Tobias." I say breathless. I grab the gun I taped under the table. I hear Eric banging on my door.

"Open the door, or I'll bust it down." He says. Tobias tries to stand up, but fails.

"Stay down." I say.

"Tris, don't do this." Tobias says.

"I have to." I say. I can't stand to see someone out to kill Tobias.

I crack open the door, fast and shoot Eric in the hand that holds his gun. He screams and I shoot him in the foot. He falls to the floor and I put my foot up to his throat.

"Make any sudden moves, I'll kill you." I say.

I see something flash in the corner of my eye.

"Drop the gun, Tris."

I turn my head and see Max, holding a gun, and it's pointing towards me.

I drop my gun, and kick it away from Eric and Max.

Max starts walking towards me.

"I always knew you were something else. A fighter, and rebel, a divergent maybe?" He says. When he says divergent, I get chills.

"What do you want Max," I say, Max is about 5 feet away, and my foot is still on Eric's throat.

"All we need is for you to go to Erudite, and all your friends and family will be safe. You would sacrifice yourself for them, right? Because you did do it in your fear landscape..." He says.

"Why should I?" I ask. Max slams his gun into my jaw. I feel blood on my face.

"You will do what I say, or this will happen again," He says coldly.

Just seconds pass before someone tackles Max. He drops his gun and crashes into the ground. Uriah pulls Max's arms behind him, and cuffs him.

2 other guys do the same to Eric. Zeke comes running from behind them.

"What happened are you guys alright?" He panics.

I nod, and realize Tobias is still in my apartment. I run back inside, and tobias is sitting in my chair, and he's very pale.

"Tobias," I gasp.

I run over to his side and help him up. Zeke runs inside too.

"How'd you find out about this?" I ask.

"Four called me and told me to bring back up." Zeke says.

"Okay," I say.

Four starts to doze off.

"Zeke, help?" I say

Zeke throws Tobias's good arm over his shoulder and I prop Tobias up using both my arms.

"It's gonna be okay, Four." I say

He nods.

XXPAGE BREAKXX

I sit next to Tobias's bedside and hold his hand. His surgery ended 10 minutes ago, and was very successful. His arm is wrapped in gauze and in a sling.

His eyes start to lift.

"Hey, Tobias, are you okay?" I say.

"Tris?" He says, his voice still sluggish.

"Yeah, you're okay. You just got shot in your arm twice by Eric. He's in jail along with Max. They're being executed this week." I say.

"Okay. I just want to know one thing." He says.

"Anything." I say.

"Why'd you risk your life for me?" He says.

I sigh. "I couldn't just close the door and let you die Tobias. I care about you. What else could I have done?"

"You could have saved yourself. You're too important to just die, Tris." He yells

"Well you are too important to just die either. Tobias, I couldn't just stand there and let Eric kill you." I say.

"You have to stop risking your life for other people. Don't you want to live?" He says.

"Of course I want to live, I just don't want to see you die." I say. Tears are forming in my eyes, and one slips down my cheek. Tobias lifts his good arm and wipes it away. He accidentally touches me jaw too hard. I wince.

"What?" He says. He turns my head and notices my jaw.

"What happened?" He asks.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Don't worry about me." I say.

"Why don't you go, maybe get some rest." He says.

"I'm not leaving your side." I say, smiling.

"That's fine with me."He says.

I get up and turn off the lights. I sit back down in the chair next to his bed and recline it. I grab onto Tobias's hand and he squeezes me back.

"I love you, Tobias," I say.

"I love you too, Tris" He says.

I fall into a sweet dream.

Sorry if it's a little short... but, i didnt want to keep you waiting from that small cliff hanger. Thanks for the votes!