Chapter 49

Tris POV

I snuck out of bed early to get Ellie into something special. I put on a onesie that has multi colored polka dots and purple pants with a matching purple headband. I tip toe into my room.

"Happy Birthday Daddy!" I say. I place Ellie near Tobias and that's the first thing he sees when his eyes open.

"Aw, thanks, come here baby girl," He says, taking Ellie into his hands. He places her on her back inbetween his chest and his arm, supporting her neck with his elbow.

"Happy birthday," I say, revealing a small box. He takes it in his free hand and cracks it open. Inside, Christina found this place that made this. It's a key chain with a heart shaped hole cut out with an engraving.

"There is this girl who stole my heart, she calls me daddy," He reads. His eyes get glossy but he holds back the tears.(get it? HEART SHAPED HOLE, stole my HEART :P)

"Tris, this is amazing, thank you," He says, kissing me.

"That's not it." I say, showing him my bracelet. It has two charms; the number four and the letter E. The E is the cut out heart with the letter inside it.

"Tris, it's beautiful, I love it," He says. I kiss him one more time.

"Happy birthday," I whisper. I peck Ellie on the nose.

"Who's hungry?" I say. I lift Ellie up and into my arms. I bring her to the kitchen where I grab her bottle. She reaches up to hold it herself, but I can't do that. She does place her hands around it, as if she tries to grab it.

I walk back into my room and slide next to Tobias, leaning against the headboard. Tobias strokes the small patch of hair on Ellies head, and her bright blue eyes stare at us.

"She really is beautiful," I say.

"She sure is. It's from you," Tobias says.

"And you," I say. Tobias chuckles.

"Plans for today?" I ask.

"This day is about you and me," He says, kissing my nose. Ellie's eyes start to close after I burp her, so I bring her into her room and set her down. I take a picture of her sleeping in the crib.

"Someone's a party pooper," I say. I add that to the book, and I'll slide the picture in later.

"I join Tobias back in bed and cuddle close to his chest. I breathe in his scent, sweat, metal, something distinctly male, and newborn baby. It has that smell that is irresistable. I love it.

XXPAGE BREAKXX

After the special dinner I made Tobias, I bounce Ellie in my arms, waiting for Tobias.

"Hurry Up!" I shout. He runs out of the bathroom.

"Geez, Tris," He says. He chuckles as he sits on the couch.

"A present from Ellie." I say, handing him his last gift. He slowly unwraps it and sees the handprints in the pink clay.

"Tris I-" He says, holding it in his hands. His eyes tear up.

"This is wonderful," He chokes out. I place Ellie in her carseat and strap her in. I walk to Tobias and wrap my small arms around his waist. He buries his face in my shoulder.

"Tobias, it's okay," I say, rubbing his back. He pulls away, his cheeks tear streaked.

"Promise me, you'll never leave," He says.

"Of course not," I say, placing my hand on his chest.

"You and Ellie are my life. If I lose you guys, I won't have anything to live for, and I'l never forgive myself."