Chapter 33

Tris POV

Tobias and I spent our last night together. Who even knows if we'll survive this? Uriah and Zeke can't just take out guards.

I'm sore when I wake up. Tobias places his large hand under my head and slowly sits me up.

"Feeling better?" He asks. I shake my head.

"Worse," He sighs.

"Uriah and Zeke are set to go in a couple hours." He says. Just then a guard opens our door.

"Jeanine's office," He says. Will, Tobias, and I walk out to Jeanine's office. Once we get inside, I sigh.

"You have quite a rebellion going, don't you Beatrice?" She asks. I roll my eyes.

"Well, now everyone can witness her execution," She says. I get chills.

"Don't let her die," Will says. I clutch onto Tobias for support.

"Too late," She says, with an evil grin on her face. 

"Come on, the execution table is ready to go," She says. A guard pulls me away from Tobias and I try to grab onto him. This wasn't supposed to happen until later.

"Just let me say goodbye!" I shout. Tobias and Will claw at the men holding them back as I'm dragged down hallways. I finally get to my death room.

"Let's just get it over with," I say. I walk towards the table and get on it, shaking. Caleb has a look of worry on his face as he walks in with a purple syringe. Great, my death syrum.

Jeanine comes close to me, and I'm hooked up to a heart monitor. She rubs an antiseptic wipe on my neck.

"Ready?" She asks. I make no move. Caleb nods his head as the syringe goes into my neck. This is it, I am dying.

XXPAGE BREAKXX

I still hear everything. The long beep of the heart monitor, the stillness of the room. A man closes my eyes and I'm detached from the table. I can't move. Why?

"Take her to the lab," Jeanine directs. I get lifted by someone very stiff.

"Beatrice, it's okay," Caleb's voice whispers into my ear. He knows I'm alive. He knows.

XXPAGE BREAKXX

Tobias POV

The guards let me and Will go and I run towards Tris's death room. Caleb walks out with her limp body in her arms.

"No," I say. Caleb runs over to me.

"Shh, follow me," He says. I pull him over.

"What the hell?" I ask.

"She's paralyzed for a few minutes, not dead. Carry her, will you?" He hands her to me. Sure enough, her body is warm and her small heart beats. I smile. I run behind Caleb.

We make twists and turns until we get to the trash chute. Tris stirs awake and starts to move again.

"Tris," I gasp. I kiss her, more passionetly than I have ever before. I set her down.

"Let's go home," I say. She smiles and grabs my hand.

XXPAGE BREAKXX

Tris POV

We run towards the abnegation sector. As much as I  know Tobias hates to do this, we're going there.

We run up my mother and father's pathway and I knock on the door. My mother, feeding Noah a bottle, opens the door.