SHADOW

'Where the fuck did he go!! ' yelled a guy

' I'm sure he went in here! It's a blocked alley there is no way he could've just vanished!! Find that brat!! ' a second one yelled again before they all walked out from the alley back to the main street. And that's when I stepped out of the darkness. 

Maybe picking a fight was not a good idea, but it sure was fun seeing their faces when I vanished in front of their eyes. And even though they saw me slip into the shadows they ignored it, because it was impossible for them to believe in the existence of such ability. 

' that was fascinating Mister Park, what a unique ability you got '

A gray suited man was standing behind me, which was weird because I was facing the only way in and out of the alley. Was he there the whole time? Somehow he seemed scarier than the darkness that surrounded the place. 

' what do you want? '

' I am here to offer you a chance to master those abilities of yours, I can help you understand them and gave you opportunities to try them in more elaborated scenarios '

That sounded so tempting. I've always wanted to use my abilities, but it's hard to use what you still can't understand. 

*******

I was sixteen when I first realized I can become one with the darkness. Bullied and picked on, I've always wished to just be invisible so those people can leave me alone, because no matter how hard I tried to not draw attention to myself, they seem to always find me and harass me just for fun.

Until the end of a day where I was locked in a closet, which was usually the end of their playing, I heard them coming back and knocking on the locker's door, laughing and joking, saying how the school was now empty and they could finally have more fun with me.

The door opened and a hand grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me out. I recognised all three of them, they were as old as I am, but obviously puberty did them good while I was stuck as short and scrawny as I've been since middle school. 

' please' I cried knowing they would not care about my pleads. 

' what's the matter jiminny? Are you scared? '

' oh come on jiminny, we'll have fun! '

They laughed and joked while I was sitting on the floor, my back pressed to the wall so hard I wished for the wall to open and swallow me whole. 

And just as one of them raised his fist aiming it to my face I stood up and run, but before I could make it to safety a hand grabbed my neck and slammed me to a locker. 

' looks like the shithead wants to have fun the hard way' he said before he grabbed my arm again and dragged me with him outside of school to the parking lot. They pushed me on the floor and circled me laughing. 

' this is actually really fun, we should do this more often, don't you agree jiminny? '

I was really scared, I was sure they would keep this for awhile then punch me. There was no place for me to hide and no one to call for help, I would just lie here and get kicked down then stand up and walk back home where no one would even notice the bruises. 

'What the fuck' I heard them say, they sounded confused and somehow scared. Their voices were muffled, as if they spoke through a veil. I opened my eyes to see them looking around. 

'Where the fuck did he go?! '

' I don't know man!!  He was right here and he just vanished!!! '

' it's... It's like he sunk in! Dude this is creepy'

' are you an idiot!! People can't just sink into the asphalt!!! ' even though he said so, he sounded unconvinced. The three of them looked down to where I am, but they seemed like they couldn't even see me. Their muffled voices sounded so far away. 

' you're dead Jimin!!!!!! You think you got away? Wait until I see your pretty face tomorrow, I'll fuck you up so hard you won't be able to recognize your own reflection you sick weirdo!! ' the guy yelled looking around the parking lot before the three of them walked away and got into a car and drove away. 

Why couldn't they see me. I was right under their noses. It's like I became invisible. But that was impossible, no one can become invisible. Whatever happened, I was greatful it happened at the right time.

Only problem is, when I tried to stand up, the veil that was muffling their voices was apparently the same thing that stopped them from seeing me, and is the same thing that's not allowing me to stand up. I couldn't feel anything around me, I was surrounded by darkness, as if I sunk in the ground, only worst.

I was swallowed by the darkness.

I finally managed to get out with a light from a passing car reflected on the spot. I left that night and stopped going to school ever since. I spent every moment trying to figure out what happened that day and if I can do it again.

Four years later, and I barely managed to figure out how to sink in the shadows and get back from it. So when this stranger in a fancy suit offers me the ability to figure myself out, it was hard to refuse. Besides, what else I have to do. I don't go to school nor do I have a job or a family, and if he offers food and shelter then I'm sold. 

' if it's food and shelter you're seeking, I am even offering you the companionship of people same as you with abilities as fascinating as yours, all you have to do is tell me Mister Park, do you want to be a hero? '

' alright, totally ignoring the fact you could guess what I was thinking, but alright, yes I want to be one, I guess '

The man's smile grew bigger as he got close to me offering me his hand to shake

' glad my persuasion abilities are still working '

And just as I shook his hand I felt a power pulling me, same as the one that pulls me into the shadows, only this was stronger and it pulled me into a white room

' welcome among us Shadow ' it was the only thing I could hear before I felt a needle pierce into my neck and I fainted.