The Mute Kid

"Hey, Y/N, do you want to drink Ribena or orange juice?" Josh asks me. I ponder it slightly, then sign orange juice. "Orange juice?" He asks me. I nod, smiling at him. "I'm sure we can sort that out! Y/M/N, you want anything?"
"I'll have some coffee please," My mum says.
"Would you like French coffee? It's rather lovely, and the second best thing the French have ever invented. The first is the French kiss."
"Yeah, I'll try the coffee."
"Cool beans," Josh says, disappearing into the kitchen. I sign to my mum that he's very lovely.
"I know right. I really like him, and he's so considerate about the situation." I shake my head, trying to sign that what's happened in the past few months isn't a 'situation' the best I can. I can't think of the sign for situation, which makes me frustrated. The frustration causes me to start coughing.
"Woah, you ok, Y/N?" Josh asks, coming into the living room with our drinks. I shake my head whilst Mum sets up the suction machine, and beckons me over. She puts a catheter down my tracheostomy, and suctions out all the stuff that built up whilst I was getting upset.
"Big cough," Mum says. I cough, then the suction is finished.
"Nice one," Josh comments, handing me my orange juice. I sip it carefully, and then cuddle up next to Josh, who's sat down on the sofa. I sign thank you, and he smiles at me.
"You're welcome." He looks over at Mum.
"Hey, Y/M/N, do you want the TV on or anything?"
"Oh, yes. There was a new episode of Modern Family that I wanted to watch." Josh grabs the remote, and switches on the TV. We find Modern Family and watch it as I think back to how this 'situation' happened:

May 2017

"I'm so sorry, Y/N, but your airway has narrowed significantly. It's too narrow to do a reconstruction on it, so therefore we will have to put in a tracheostomy in until the airway widens enough in order to do a reconstruction," my airway surgeon said to me. We were in his office for an appointment after I had had surgery to look at how my airway was getting on.
"How long will that be?" My dad had asked the surgeon.
"I'm afraid we can't say, but we're looking at quite a few years I'm afraid." Mum burst into tears then, whilst my dad had tried to go through possible options with the doctor, who seemed determined this was the right course of action.
"Will I be able to talk?" I had asked him. He had shaken his head at me.
"You'll have to learn sign language as the tube uses the air going from the voice box to breath through the tube." And that's when my heart broke; I'd always taken my voice for granted, but now it was being taken away from me, I had felt upset. I'd never be able to talk to anyone on the phone. I would be mute. I'd literally just got myself a boyfriend around a month ago, and now I wouldn't be able to have a proper conversation with him! I'd felt like birds were coming to rip apart my throat and rip my voice box out.
"So we book you in for 1st June, is that alright?"
"Yes," I'd replied sadly.
The last words I'd ever spoken was in that surgery room whilst I was being put under general anaesthetic were, "Don't let me be gone."

"Y/N, you alright?" Josh asks me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I sign I'm ok, but I can tell he thinks it's a lie.
"Were you thinking about it again?" He murmurs. I nod sadly, playing with his hands.
"Dude, that happened almost 3/4 months ago, and I know it's hard, but you're getting counselling to help deal with it. And I know that you think about it mainly to make sense of it, and that's fine, but just so long as you don't think about it 24/7, you'll be ok. You got that, little potato?" I laugh at the nickname, and he smiles at me.
"C'mere, dude," he says, lying down and wrapping his arms around me, putting his head on my shoulder.
"Aw, you guys are so cute," Mum says, then I hear the click of a camera. I ask her in sign language if she took a photo of us together.
"Maybe," she says, and I pretend to be embarrassed, although I secretly love her for taking it.
"Hey, Y/N, maybe we can have that photo for our future wedding," Josh laughs, causing Mum to cheer whilst I just blush, although I love that Josh has been so cooperative with this 'situation'. He's researched everything to do with having a tracheostomy, and he even learnt sign language in order to communicate with me. He's one of the nicest men I've ever met, and I'm glad he's in my life.