"Can you help me shave my hair?"

"Mommy," my son, Caleb says to me as I'm reading a book on the sofa in the living room, "Daddy says he needs your help!"
"What does he need help with?" I ask him. Caleb says nothing, and dashes upstairs to the bathroom, where I see my husband, Josh, with a hair clipper in his hand.
"Love," he says to me, "can you help me shave my hair? I want it shaved before we go to see Kinky Boots tonight."
"Um, ok. But are you sure?" I scan my eyes over his bright yellow hair, and he nods.
"I'm absolutely certain. Caleb, do you want to help me cut my hair?"
"Of course," Caleb cries, clapping his hands in excitement.
"You are NOT giving a 3 year old a pair of hair clippers!" I say sternly to Josh.
"No, of course not. But he CAN comb my hair. Caleb, do you want to comb Daddy's hair?"
Caleb nods, and with that, Josh hands Caleb a comb, and we walk across the hallway into mine and Josh's shared bedroom, and Josh sits down at the dressing table, looking in the mirror. Caleb, meanwhile, starts to very enthusiastically tug at Josh's hair with the comb.
"Ow," Josh whines, and I carefully take the comb from Caleb.
"Maybe I should do it now, baby, or else you'll hurt Daddy," I explain. Caleb looks heartbroken, and I can sense a tantrum coming.
"Hey, buddy," Josh says, also sensing the oncoming tantrum, "do you want to collect my hair when it's coming off?"
"Ok," Caleb says halfheartedly, going downstairs to get a bag. I - meanwhile - gently brush Josh's hair, and ask him why he chose to shave it off.
"Because I want healthy hair. And besides, I wanted a change in how I look."
"I'm going to miss your curly locks," I chuckle, running a hand through his hair.
"They'll grow back," he grins, looking at our reflection in the mirror.
"Mommy, I got a bag," Caleb says, producing a plastic shopping bag.
"Excellent. Now let's shave your hair, Mr Dun." I get the hair clippers ready, and turn them on, my stomach churning a little as I hear the buzz.
"You want to go through with this?" I ask Josh for the 100th time.
"Shave it off."
And that's what I do; I start at the back, chunks of yellow hair falling on the floor, and then proceed to run the hair clippers up to the middle of his head, so one side is completely stubbles of hair. I then do the same to the other side, then turn Josh around so that I can work on the front of his head. Bright yellow locks fall onto his lap, and I pick a couple of them up, and chuckle at his appearance.
"Holy moly, you look like a gangster or something!"
"Do I?" Josh turns around, and runs a hand through his stubble.
"Crap, I look cool."
"Um, no swearing," I grin, "we have a child." I point to Caleb, who doesn't notice us as he's busily picked up pieces of hair.
"Sorry, buddy. Now let's go out and show off my new hair." And with that, we get ready to go out to show Josh's new haircut. Caleb takes the longest to get ready as he keeps on touching Josh's head.
"You've got no hair, Daddy."
"I know."
"But, Daddy, you've got NO hair."
"I know, Caleb."
"But why do you have no hair?"
"Because Mommy cut it for me."
"But why did she cut it for you?"
Josh sighs, picks up Caleb, and puts him in the buggy.
"Let's go out," I say, getting the house key, and heading out the front door. I look over at Josh, who closes the door, and notice he has a SnapBack on his head.
"Josh," I sigh.
"What?" He shrugs.
"Take the hat off."
"No, I like the hat," he whines.
"I swear, it's like I've got two children instead of one," I laugh as we all head off into town.

Josh Dun's yellow hair December 2016 - August 2017.