21

Twenty one: Peaceful Rooftop

Azalea Miller

-3 & 1/2 years ago; Junior year-

After hanging out in the hot tub for a while we just smoked and did stupid shit for the longest time.

We all soon had passed out in the living room and when I woke up everyone was asleep and light snores were heard all around the room.

I had my head on Sam's shoulder and his arm was wrapped around my shoulders, holding me close to him.

I was able to carefully get of his hold and check the time on my phone, 11:13pm. Damn we passed out early.

I turned my screen off and got up from my spot. I carefully and quietly made my way threw the living room trying not to wake anyone.

I went out the back door and walked around to the left side of the cabin and climbed up the ladder and on to the roof.

I carefully walked on the roof and sat down resting my hands behind me and looked up at the sky.

I don't know how long I sat like that, I finally had snapped back to reality when someone climbed onto the roof with me.

"Hey." They said, Sam.

"Hey." I smiled even though he couldn't see me well. He came over and sat down next to me. "What time is it?" I asked.

"Like eleven fifty-five, almost midnight." He answered.

I turned my whole body to look at him. "Well then, happy birthday Sammy." I said wishing him one last happy birthday for this year.

"Thank you baby girl." He kissed my forehead.

We looked back up at the sky and stayed quiet. The only sound was crickets being heard from all around. "Can I ask you a question?" He spoke.

"Shoot." I said as I continued to look up. I could just barely see him looking at me as I looked up.

"Why do you always come up here, or like any roof?" He asked. "It's one of the only things about you that I don't get."

"I don't know." I shrugged and thought before I gave him my answer, "When my dad was drunk or high or both even, Ethan would take me up onto the roof to get away from him and it was always so, peaceful. I guess it's just become a habit of mine, when I can't sleep, too much on my brain, or just to get away."

"So which one is it tonight, can't sleep, too many thoughts in that pretty little head of yours, or just to get away?" He asked.

"Couldn't sleep, I guess."

"I guess?"

"Just thinking." I looked over at him and smiled. I looked back up and soon felt Sam's arm wrap around my shoulders, pulling me close to him.

He kissed my forehead, "What were you thinking about?" He asked.

"Just the future." I said. "Like what's gonna happen after graduation, and all."

I felt him nod slightly.

We stayed quiet for a while, all I heard was Sam's heart beat as my head stayed on his chest and my head moved up and down with his breathing.

"Azalea?" He spoke out of no where.

"Yeah?" I asked confused, normal he doesn't say 'Azalea' that often only when he's being serious mainly.

"You know I would never hurt you, right?" He said.

I sat up and looked back at him and I could barely see him looking back at me as he searched my face. "I know, Sam." I said and pecked his lips and he smiled and so did I.

"Come here." He said and pulled me gently back into his chest.

We stayed like this for I don't know how long. I guess I had started to fall asleep in Sam's arm and he woke me up and helped me off the roof. We went and laid down and watched Family Guy and I fell asleep again snuggled into Sam's arm, hearing his heart beat as my head rested on his chest.

673 words
*unedited*

7/12/17 | 679 words - edited