Chapter IV

"Bathroom break, Shelby!" her mom nearly screamed.

She looked up from the book and asked, "What?"

"Do you need to use the bathroom?" her mom asked.

"Yeah, yeah, ok. I'm coming." she answered.

She marked the page by bending down the corner and got out of the car. She stretched a little then walked inside the gas station. She got into the bathroom and had to wait her turn. Her sister was standing there in line also.

"Where's Mom?" she asked.

"Getting some drinks and food to snack on." her sister answered.

The line moved quickly. When she was done, she went back to the car. Her sister was already in the car.

"Well, what do you think so far?" her sister asked.

"About what?" she asked.

"The book of course." her sister said.

She didn't want to sound too enthrawled with it so she answered modestly, "It's ok."

"It's ok." her sister repeated.

"Yeah, it's ok." she said.

"You do realize you've been reading that book for two hours already." her sister said.

"What?" she asked.

"Two hours. You've been reading for two hours." her sister laughed.

"So, I got a little hung up on it. So what." she said.

"It's not a horror book, Shelby. You don't read anything else. Remember." her sister snapped.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I like it." she said. "It's not hat I'm use to reading but it's a good book."

Her sister laughed. She smiled. She got her sister off her case easily.

"Now back to the book. Where did I leave off? Oh yeah, the woman was in the hallway about to open the door." she thought.

The door opens with a creaking sound. The man and other woman stop talking. They turn to look at who's interrupted them. The man smiles at her. The other woman just stands there looking at her.

"I'll be done in a moment. I'll meet you back on the balcony, darling." the man said.

"I'll be waiting for you." the woman said.

The woman pulled the door shut and walked back through the crowd to the balcony. She paced back and forth waiting for the man to join her. He appeared as if by magic behind her. She didn't hear him walk up. He reached out for her shoulder just as she turned. She jumped out of fear. She let out a nervous laugh.

"I didn't hear you walk up." the woman said.

"I didn't mean to scare you, darling." the man said.

He took her in his arms and held her. She wrapped her arms around him and placed her head against his chest. She could hear his heart beating. She raised her head up to look up at him. He was already looking down at her.

"Well, that's close to the picture on the cover." she thought.

Her dad slammed the door. She looked up. She didn't even notice her mom had gotten into the car.

"Are we ready?" her dad asked.

"Yeah." she said.

Her sister said, "I guess so."