Chapter LII

They had fallen to sleep in each others arms. The phone ringing woke them up. Tommy reached over and answered his phone. Shelby only heard bits and pieces of the conversation. She was dozing while he talked to whoever it was on the phone. She heard him say, "Ok." a lot but not much of anything else. He hung up and put the phone down.

"Is everything ok?" she asked as she curled back up against him.

"Everything's fine. Go back to sleep." he said and kissed her on the head.

He laid there holding her while she slept. He kissed her on the head again then slid out of the bed. Her head popped up and she looked at him.

"It's ok. I'm just going to the bathroom. Here." he said as he pushed his pillow into her arms. "Hold this until I get back."

She put her arm around his pillow and her head on it. She took a deep breath and went back to sleep.

he kissed her on the head and said, "I love you."

"I love you, too." she said.

She had no idea he had left the room, or the house. He had dressed and left her there sleeping. She woke up when she heard him calling her.

"Shelby. Shelby, wake up." he said.

She opened her eyes to see him fully dressed and hiding something behind his back. She raised her head up and looked at him. He pulled a bouquet of pink roses from behind his back. She smiled as he handed them to her.

"For me?" she asked.

"I don't see anybody else here." he laughed.

"Thank you. They're beautiful." she said.

"Just like you." he said and kissed her.

"What time is it?" she asked.

"It's almost eleven in the morning." he said.

"I need to get up and get dressed." she said as she tried to find her clothes and get up.

"Whoa. Whoa." he said. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"I've got to go home." she said.

"Who said?" he asked.

"I don't have to leave?" she asked.

"No. You don't have to go anywhere." he laughed. "Mom called this morning. They won't be back until tomorrow." he said as he undressed.

"Ok." she said as she smelled her roses.

"Move over." he said.

She scooted over to let him back in the bed. He moved his pillow and climbed back under the covers.

"That means we have all day to be alone." he said.

She smiled at him and she realized what he meant be "alone".

"Oh." she said. "I need somewhere to put my roses."

He took the roses and put them on the other nightstand. He kissed her on his way back. She grabbed him to keep him from moving away. He looked at her and kissed her again.

"Is that all you're going to do?" she asked.

"Oh. You want something else." he laughed.

"I thought you did." she said.

"We've got all day, babygirl. I'm in no hurry." he said.

"I've already slept most of the morning." she said. "How much time do you think we have if I keep falling to sleep afterwards?" she asked.