Chapter XXI

The drive to the movie theater took less than twenty minutes. They were early. John found a parking spot easily. There weren't many cars in the parking lot. they got out and decided what to watch. There were only three movies showing tonight. Two were rated R horror films and the other was a kiddie film rated G. The decision was easy. They would watch one of the rated R horror films.

"Will they let me in?" she asked.

"Yeah, you're with us." John said.

"Ok." she said.

They got in line for the movie. John paid and handed her a ticket. The other ticket he gave to Tommy. They walked inside. No questions were asked. They went to the snack bar and got popcorn plus drinks. They waited in line again for the movie they chose. John was watching a couple of girls who were looking at him and Tommy.

"Hey Tommy. What about those two?" John asked.

"I'll pass." Tommy said.

"Are you sure?" John asked.

"I'm sure." Tommy said.

The girls heard what Tommy said and turned around. John lost his chance also. He pulled Tommy aside to talk to him.

"Man, what's your problem?" John asked.

"I'm not interested." Tommy said.

"You're single. I'm single." John said. "We should make a play for them."

"I'm not here for that." Tommy said.

"What are you here for?" John asked.

"To spend time with Shelby." Tommy said.

"You need to watch yourself. That's my little sister." John said.

"Why don't we just try and enjoy th movie." she said.

They turned and saw Shelby standing there. She had heard enough to know that he liked her. How much? She didn't know yet.

"They're going inside." she said.

They got back in line and entered the theater. John chose their seats. They sat down and she started watching the people who were on dates. That was most of the people there. Some were sharing their popcorn. Others were just talking to each other. The lights were still on.

"Things should change after the lights go out." she thought.

She was sitting between Tommy and John. Tommy kept his hands to himself. He didn't even try and hold her hand while they were in line. Tommy excused himself. He exited the room. She had her chance to talk to John.

"Hey Tommy didn't try and hold my hand. He hasn't touched me since we got here." she said.

"Give him time. The lights are on. Just remember, I'll exit halfway through the film. Be careful and pay attention. If he tries something, you know what to do." John said.

"Stop him." she said. "What if he doesn't try anything?" she asked.

"Then he really does like you." John said.

"Then what?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" John asked.

"What do I do if he really does like me?" she asked.

"That's up to you. If you really like him, I won't stand in your way." John said.

"You'll let us spend time together." she said.