Chapter XXIII

She hadn't realized that she had fallen to sleep. Something had roused her. She blinked her eyes several times trying to focus to see. She looked out the window. She couldn't see very well but it looked like Tommy at the window. There was the sound again. It was Tommy at the window. He was pecking on it.

She got up slowly and quietly walked over to the window. She raised the window and he stuck his head in.

"Can you come outside?" he asked. "I need to talk to you." he said.

"I guess so. Hang on." she said and went to leave the room.

He reached in and grabbed her arm. She stopped and looked back at him.

"Not that way. Out the window." he said.

"What?" she asked in disbelief.

"Don't worry. I'll help you. Come on before someone hears us." Tommy said.

She stuck one leg out the window, then the other one. She had forgot she was in her night gown. She was sitting on the edge of the window frame. He grabbed her at the waist and lowered her to the ground. Her body slid down his. Her night gown raised a little bit above her waist. She panicked just a little as she tried to keep him from seeing her panties. She pulled her might gown down with a quick jerk. He smiled at her. She gave a little nervous laugh.

"I won't tell anyone." he said.

He held out his hand and she took it. He led her into the dark away from the house. When they were far enough away, he stopped and let go of her hand.

"I can't sleep." he said. "I need to know something."

"What?" she asked.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm ok." she said. "I don't even know why I got so upset." she lied.

"You cried." he said.

"Don't worry about..." was all she got to say.

"I am worried about it. It's keeping me awake." he said.

"I'm ok really." she reassured him.

"Why did you cry?" he asked. "And don't lie this time." he said.

"He knows I lied or is he just guessing." she thought.

"I don't know. I started crying and couldn't stop. It just happened." she lied again.

"Don't give me that shit." he said. "People don't cry for no reason."

"I know your ex and that guy being behind us bothered you. I didn't know what to do to help you. I know it hurt. That's why I cried." she said.

He pulled her close and hugged her. She started crying again.

"It's ok. I'm fine." he said. "I've got you. You go ahead and cry if you need to."

She wrapped her arms around him and put her head against his chest. She kept crying. She took a deep breath.

"Wow, he smells good." she thought.

She started laughing. She couldn't help it.

"What's so funny?" he asked.

"I know I'm standing here crying. I took a deep breath and whatever you have on, I smelled it. The first thing that ran through my head was "you smell good"." she confessed.

They both stood there laughing in each other's arms. She felt a lot better now. It felt nice holding him. She really was falling for him. She couldn't help herself. She put her head back against his chest. He held her tightly in his arms.

"I've got to get some sleep." he said as he kissed her on the head.

"You'll be able to now, yes?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'll be able to. As long as, you're really ok." he said.

"I'm ok." she said.

"Ok. Let's get you back through the window." he said.

They walked back to the house together holding hands. He looked at the window then her.

"How do you want to do this?" he asked.

"Can you pick me up?" she asked.

He grabbed her and picked her up like she weighed nothing at all. She giggled then covered her mouth.

"I'm sorry." she said. "You're strong."

"Ok. Now what?" he asked.

"I'll go in head first." she said.

He walked to the window. She let go of him and grabbed the window sill. She pulled herself through the window quickly. She stuck her head back out and smiled.

"How's that?" she asked.

"Perfect." he said.

He turned to go home.

"Hey! Come here!" she nearly yelled.

"Shhhhhh!" he said as he walked back to the window. "What?" he asked.

She pressed her lips to his ans kissed him. He smiled at her and she smiled at him.

"Good night." he said.

"Sweet dreams." she said.

He turned and walked home. She watched him until he went inside. She climbed back into bed and watched his bedroom light. She waited to see it go off. When it did, she closed her eyes and went back to sleep.