Chapter XLVI

After an hour or so and what felt like a million songs sang, they made it to the party. John parked as close as he could to the house which wasn't close at all.

"Fall out." John said.

Everybody got out of the car. Tommy held out his hand to help Shelby back out of the car. She had all of his attention and Donald's and Vince's. They walked to the party. At least there was a sidewalk this time. She had on new heels and was worried about how her feet were going to feel by the time they left. So far, so good. Her feet were fine. Hopefully, she would be able to dance. She was really looking forward to dancing with Tommy again.

They reached the house and walked in. People spoke to John as he walked through the crowd. Tommy and Shelby walked behind John while Donald and Vince walked behind them. They made it to the kitchen. There was a guy in there with the coolers.

"Hey John. Glad to see you made it." the guy said.

"Hey Steve. You remember Tommy, Donald and Vince." John said.

"Yeah, but who is this sweet young lady?" Steve asked.

"That's my sister, Shelby." John said.

"Well, well, well. Hello Shelby." Steve said as he took her hand and kissed it.

"Alright Steve. Cut it out." Tommy said.

"She yours?" Steve asked.

"Yes." Tommy said.

"Alright man. I'm backing off." Steve said to Tommy. "What you see is what we got. There's beers and sodas in the coolers. Food here on the table. Help yourselves." Steve said. "Save me a dance if you can, good lookin'." Steve said to Shelby.

"My dance card is full. Sorry." Shelby responded.

Steve frowned and said, "You're killing me, babe."

Steve looked right at Tommy and said, "When you're done, send her my way."

Tommy lunged at Steve but Shelby stopped him.

"I'm just playin'. Calm down, man." Steve said then walked out of the kitchen.

"You shouldn't have worn that outfit." Tommy said to Shelby.

Shelby let go of his hand and walked over to the cooler. She hunted down something to drink. She didn't come out with a soda. She had a beer in her hand.

"What are you doing?" John asked.

"One beer won't kill me besides it'll keep me from hitting Tommy." Shelby said.

"Have you had a beer before?" John asked.

"Yes." she said.

"Ok then. Just don't get drunk." John said. "I don't want to explain that to Joyce and Frank later."

She popped the top and took a drink. Tommy walked quickly over to Shelby and tried to take the beer from her hand. She glared at him.

"Leave her alone, Tommy. Let her have a beer." John said.

"What?" he asked.

"She wants a beer. Don't let her get drunk and don't make another remark about how she's dressed." John said.

Tommy nodded and backed off of her. She got a plate and put some chips and dip on it. She stood in the kitchen out of the way and away from Tommy. She put her can down and ate her chips slowly.

Tommy stood on the other side of the kitchen watching her. She tried to ignore him. She couldn't tell if he was mad at Steve or her. After the way Tommy acted last night and this morning with her, she felt she deserved to be noticed by other people.