Chapter X

John and the two other guys turned towards them.

"It's about time, Tommy. We thought you were going to stay over there the rest of the day." on of the guys said.

"Knock it off." Tommy said.

"This is Shelby, my baby sister." John said.

"This is Donald and Vince. Tommy you've met. These guys are my best friends." John said.

"Hi! It's nice to meet you." she said.

"you say that now, just wait until you get to know them better." John laughed.

Donald swung his arm and popped John across the chest hard. They all laughed. She stood there smiling but inside she was very confused.

"Damn man, that hurt!" John yelled.

"Did you decide what we're doing today?" Tommy asked.

"We were thinking about going to the lake for a swim but it's not definite." Vince said.

John swung his arm and popped Donald across the chest just as hard. They started popping each other hard.

"Would you like to go to the lake for a swim?" Tommy asked.

"I can't swim." she said.

"That doesn't matter." he said. "Would you like to go?" he asked again.

"Sure." she said. "Wait. I don't know if I packed my bathing suit."

"What you have on is fine." Tommy said.

"Ok then, yeah." she said. "What about Gracey?" she asked.

"We'll ask her in a minute." Tommy said.

John and Donald stopped hitting each other. They stood there laughing.

"What's that all about?" she asked.

"It's just them goofing off. They're not fighting." Vince said.

She realized Tommy was still holding her hand. She felt weird holding his hand. She had just met him. She stood there next to him letting him hold her hand. She didn't know what to do.

"Should I let go of his hand or just let it be?" she thought.

She decided to leave it alone. She stood there waiting on John and Donald to come back over. When they finally did, they started laughing. She thought that they were strange. She wasn't sure if she wanted to hang out with them or not.

"Are we going to the lake or not?" Vince asked.

"Yeah, sure. Why not?" John said.

"Are we taking Gracey with us?" she asked.

"We need to go ask her don't we." John said.

Tommy let go of her hand so she could go with John. They were walking slowly across the yard.

"Be careful around Tommy." John said.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"He just broke up with his girlfriend. You need to watch what you do." John said.

"Like what?" she asked.

"Like holding his hand." John said.

"You saw that." she said.

"We all did. He's on the rebound." John said.

"What?" she asked.

"He's looking for a replacement. You get too close, someone's going to get hurt." John said. "Be careful."