Chapter XXVII

After dinner, everybody went into the living room to watch TV before bedtime. John sat inbetween Gracey and Shelby on the floor.

"What are you and Tommy doing tomorrow?" John asked.

"I don't know. I don't even know if he's coming by tomorrow. I just said that to see what you would do." she said.

"You let me act like an ass outside." John said.

"You don't need my help. You do fine all by yourself." she said.

"Would you two stop it?" Gracey asked.

"What's wrong sis? Did Dad decide not to leave again?" she asked laughing.

"No, he decided to leave tomorrow." Gracey said.

"What?" John and Shelby asked.

"Hey Dad. Did you decide to go home in the morning?" John asked.

"Yes I did. I know I'm cutting out trip short but Gracey's camp is starting early and we need to get back sooner." Dad said.

"It was good meeting you, Gracey. I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer." John said.

"She's not leaving until the morning." Shelby said.

"I have to go to work in the morning. I may not be here when they leave." John said.

"Oh, that's right. Wait. I'll be all alone tomorrow." she said.

"You'll be fine. You can alway call Cheryl. She'll come by and keep you company. Just do me a favor." John said.

"What?" she asked.

"Stop telling on me. Cheryl called while you were gone with Tommy. I have to let you be yourself." John said.

She laughed so hard and loud.

"You got in trouble with Cheryl!" she laughed.

"How do you think she's going to react when I tell her you kissed Tommy?" John asked loudly.

Everybody got quiet and looked at her. Gracey was smiling. She didn't know what to say or do. she could feel her face blush. She was so embarrassed and angry. She clutched her hand into a fist and popped John. She got up and walked to the bedroom slamming the door behind her.

"Shelby kissed a boy!" Gracey giggled.

John got up and said, "Shut up, Gracey!"

John walked up the hallway stopping outside the bedroom door. He knocked then waited for her to answer.

"Go away!" she yelled.

"Shelby, listen to me please. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you. I mean it." John pleaded.

"Go Away!" she yelled again.

"Shelby, please let me in." John begged.

"The door's not locked." she said.

He turned the doorknob and the door opened. She hadn't locked the door at all. He felt stupid. He walked in and around the bed.

"May I sit down?" John asked.

She moved over and he sat down. He looked at her and saw that she was crying. Now, he felt bad.

"Look, Shelby, I'm sorry." John said.

"I know. You didn't mean to embarrass me but you did. I'm also angry." she said.

"Don't be angry with me." he said.