Chapter XI

John made a right turn on a dirt road. The pavement stopped at the turn. The lake was out in the middle of mowhere. They rolled up the windows. Dust was flying through the air behind them. They drove down this road until there was the lake. John slowed down and pulled over under some trees. There was nobody else there.

"Fall out." John said as he turned off the car.

They opened the doors and slowly got out. John was watching Tommy. Tommy held out his hand for her. She took it and got out. He let go of her hand and walked towards the lake. Donald was standing on the other side of the car looking at her.

"You know John doesn't like how Tommy's acting with you." Donald said.

"Yeah." she said.

"You need to be careful. You don't want to make John mad at you or Tommy." Donald said.

"I know but how do I tell Tommy not to touch me without hurting his feelings?" she asked.

"I don't know. If you don't figure it out, John's going to get him." Donald said.

John, Vince and Tommy were already at the shoreline. Donald shut the door and so did she. She walked with Donald to the shoreline. John turned to look at them. He didn't look as mad as he had.

"Can you swim?" John asked.

"No I can't." she said.

"Tommy is the best swimmer here." John said. "If I let you two stay together, can you behave yourselves?" John asked.

"Yes." they both answered.

"Ok. I'm going to trust you two. If you do anything I don't like, we're going back." John said. "Don't ruin this for the others or this will be the only time you'll be allowed to go anywhere with us, Shelby. Do you understand, Shelby?" John asked.

"I understand." she said.

Tommy kept his head down. He didn't look up until John walked away towards the water. She sat down next to Tommy. He looked over at her.

"I'm sorry." Tommy said.

"For what?" she asked.

"For trying to kiss you." Tommy said.

"That's ok." she said. "Is he mad at me too?" she asked.

"I don't think so. I know he's mad at me though." Tommy said.

"So, how are we going to swim together if I can't swim?" she asked.

"The water's not that deep in some areas. We'll stay mear them. Ok." Tommy said.

"Ok then." she said.

Tommy took off his shoes and socks and then put them in his shoes. She sat there doing nothing. He stood up and took off his shirt. She looked at his chest. He was ok for a guy she just met.

"Are you coming?" Tommy asked.

"Oh yeah." she said.

She took off her shoes and socks and then put her socks inside her shoes like he did. She stood up. He took her hand and walked her to the water. He got in first and then turned to help her into the water. She was a little scared. She had no idea what was in the water. She wasn't afraid of fish but she was worried about snakes.

"It's ok. I won't let anything happen to you." Tommy said.

That made her feel better. She took a deep breath and exhaled. She started to step into the water but stopped.