High Places

"Vanitas?"

"Yes Noé?"

"Why do you insist upon eating breakfast on the rooftops?"

"Is there a problem with that?" Vanitas tilted his head to the side, "You're free to eat inside if you wish. I'm not going to stop you."

"It's not that I don't like it up here," Noé sighed.

"Then do tell why the question suddenly came to you. We've been coming up here for some time now and it has only just struck you as odd?"

"No, I found it strange from the start."

"I'm still waiting for your explanation my dear Noé," Vanitas took a bite of a croissant.

"I don't know the reason myself. I just became curious enough to ask," Noé shrugged.

Vanitas laughed, the same mad, joyful laugh that he always dissolved into when Noé said or did something he couldn't comprehend. Noé remained expressionless while Vanitas cackled.

"You really are quite strange Noé. If you must know why I like breakfast up here, it's because I enjoy high places."

"Okay, then why do you like high places so much?"

"So many questions today Noé. If I didn't know any better I'd think you cared about me," Vanitas grinned.

"You interest me as a person, there's nothing more to it," Noé replied.

"How cold," Vanitas feigned hurt.

"Are you going to tell me why you like high places?" Noé looked at Vanitas blankly.

"Since it seems you don't plan to leave me with my breakfast in peace then I may as well," Vanitas sighed.

Noé leaned in attentively.

"Alright, if I'm honest...," Vanitas glanced around conspiratorially, "It's because I like seeing all the people of Paris beneath me, reduced to the insignificant specks they really are!" Then Vanitas burst out laughing again.

"That's not funny Vanitas. I wanted a serious answer," Noé pouted.

"Too bad Noé! You should expect this by now. I am not a serious person, I like playing games," he smiled.

Noé nodded. He didn't approve but it was simply the way Vanitas was. Perhaps there was a deep personal reason behind Vanitas's love of high places or maybe he just liked them for the view. You could never tell with Vanitas. Either way Noé found that he was beginning to rather enjoy high places too.

---------------------------------------------------------

This was for me to get a feel for the characters more than anything else. It was still fun to write though. I do hope that if there's anyone reading this that they enjoyed. Oh, and feel free to message me if you like (I'd very much like to fangirl with someone about this manga series). If you somehow stumbled upon this and haven't read the manga I highly recommend you do. It only has eighteen chapters so far as I know so it would be easy to catch up on.