Guns For Hands

"You all have guns, but you never put the safety on."

I mulled over Shane's offer. I wanted to go, to get as far away from Merle as possible, but I wanted Daryl with me and I knew he wouldn't go without Merle. Glancing back at Daryl, he closed his car door and walked over to me. The woman stepped out of the police cruiser as Daryl stood by my side. 

"Who are you?" Daryl asked. 

"My name is Shane, and this is Lori." 

"Who's the kid?" I asked somewhat harshly. 

"My son," Lori piped. Hers? So she and Shane aren't...?

"He got a name or you just call him 'son'?" I didn't mean for the anger to come off my voice, it was just so pent up in my body it just rolled off my tongue.

"Look, you guys need a hand? It's better to travel in a group, a larger one at that," Shane offered again. 

"You know about the virus?" I asked. Shane glanced down and back up at me, his eyes seeming to trail my body, much like Merle, which made me clench my jaw in anger. 

"That's why we're leaving." There was a brief moment of silence before Shane added, "We got enough room for you two." 

I sat into my hip shoving my hands in my back pockets. "Well we got another person but I'm personally fine leaving him here or throwing him in the trunk." 

Daryl slapped my arm at that. "We ain't leaving without him," he quietly said to me. It was worth a shot I guess. 

"Look we can figure it out," Shane said. "You in?" 

I looked at Daryl. "I don't want to go without you, you don't want to go without Merle. So it's up to you because I'm taking my chances with the cop." 

Daryl searched my eyes for any wariness or uncertainty. Finding none, he looked back over to my car, bringing two fingers up to his mouth and giving a quick whistle to his brother.

We worked it out that Lori's son would sit on my lap, and Daryl would sit next to me because I seriously might murder Merle if he's that close. As we were getting ready to leave, the young boy stepped out of the cruiser. His eyes were a sweet blue, reminding me of Daryl's, and his face was littered with freckles. This poor kid had to grow up in this mess. I knelt down to his level. 

"Hi, my name is Belle." 

"I'm Carl," he said. 

I smiled, he was so sweet. "You're gonna sit on my lap, okay? I promise I won't let my friend's brother be a jerk to you." I held out my pinky to him, he connected it with his own small one as he giggled. 

"What about your friend?" 

"He's well behaved," I reassured.

Once again, Merle didn't shut up with his snarky remarks and "conversation starters" during the ride. He was in the middle of saying something stupid that I tried to block out when I interrupted. 

"Merle, I swear to God if you don't-" I paused, covering Carl's ears, "if you don't shut the fuck up I will shoot you right now and don't think I'll hesitate."