Long Way Down

"We built it up so high and now I'm falling."

The next morning, Daryl and I gathered as many supplies from the house as we could, putting them in discarded boxes and totes we found. Things were better between the two of us. After talking with him last night, it felt like we broke some boundaries I didn't know we even had. It felt good to admit my fears about the future just as much as what I wanted for the future. I even got Daryl to open up a bit more which is always a challenge.

I was sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch, watching Daryl go between the house and the car, piling our supplies into the back. I took note of the way his muscles flexed with his movements and the way the sun bounced off his skin. I took note of the way the wind blew through his brown hair so he could shake it out of his face. 

"You know, you could help me," Daryl complained, a hint of sarcasm in his gruff voice. 

"Nah, I like the view from here," I replied with a smile as he walked up the porch steps. 

Daryl slowly sauntered his way over to me, staring down with his usual love and adoration swimming in his blue eyes. He scooped me up from the chair, turning to now sit himself down with me cradled in his lap. We rocked back and forth slightly, enjoying the cool air of the morning. Not many walkers made it through these parts, allowing us to thoroughly enjoy this time together. 

" 'S nice out here," I mumbled. "Quiet."

"It is," Daryl agreed, tightening his hand on my waist. 

We remained silent, soaking in the serenity of the moment. Daryl leaned in and softly kissed my cheek, letting his lips linger on my skin. I closed my eyes and sighed. His touch left me weak but electrified me all the same. He was gentle but lustful in the heat of the moment. It felt amazing.

He slowly dragged his lips to my neck, leaving soft, closed-mouth kisses in his wake. A gentle moan erupted from the back of my throat--my neck was always a weak spot and Daryl used it to his advantage. 

"What d'you say, baby," he muttered against my skin, "one more time before we head back?"

"Babe, we told them we'd be back by the afternoon," I said with a sigh, trying my best to bite back the moans that wanted to escape as Daryl continued his assault on my neck.

"And we will," he countered. "It's still early."

"Daryl--"

"Come on," he urged, gently caressing my inner thigh--another weakness he's picked up on.

"You're fucking lucky I love you."

***

The group, as a whole, has been really well since Daryl and I came back from our run--it's been about a week or so. We all worked diligently and things ran smoothly. We've all been thriving off each other, working as a unit and coexisting peacefully. Hope was high since the virus stopped and everyone was back to their full potential. 

I walked through the cell block by myself heading towards the exit. No one was really inside which made me a bit concerned and confused. 

"Hey," I said as I opened the door, "where is--"

Everyone was gathered by the fences. I couldn't see what they were looking at but they were all armed. My heart rate accelerated. What the hell was going on?

Daryl quietly rushed over to me, handing me a large gun. Dad didn't really educate me on types of guns, just how to use them. I gave Daryl a frightened look and took the gun from his hands.