Wasted

"Am I crazy to think that I could be in love when it all ends up, it all ends up wasted? I'd give you my heart but I'd just fuck it up."

The Georgia sun beat down on my back, enveloping me in a hug I didn't care to reciprocate. Sweat beaded down my temples, dampened my shirt, and formed in places I didn't even know could perspire. With a sigh, I stuck my shovel in the ground, letting my wrist lean against the top as I wiped the moisture from my forehead.

"How you doin', little man?" I called to Carl who was a few feet away from me. He glanced up, nearly repeating my actions.

"Good," he replied. "Almost done." I nodded before he attended back to his work.

I sauntered over to him, sitting into my hip and shoving my hands in my back pockets once I reached my intended destination. "Carl," I said, grabbing his attention, "can I ask you something?"

He placed his shovel in the earth below us before saying, "Yeah. What's up?"

"Why do you keep coming into my cell at night?"

He blushed slightly, looking at our feet and shuffling around. "Oh, um, well, I'm worried about you. And I also haven't been sleeping well on my own."

I smiled, feeling my heart swell. I don't know what I did to deserve to have Carl Grimes in my life, but I'm glad I did something right. "You know you could just ask if you could stay with me. You don't have to sneak in when I'm sleeping," I said with a small chuckle. "You think I'd say no?"

"No," he mumbled, looking back up at me with a smile of his own. I held his chin in the palm of my hand, my fingers gently curling around his jaw. 

"I ever tell you how proud I am of you?" I asked, the thought seeming to roll straight from my brain to my tongue. Carl shook his head. "I'm proud of you. For everything." 

Carl blushed and mumbled a small, "Thanks."

"Alright, kiddo, back to it." We both turned to continue our work in the crop field. "Oh, Carl," I said, turning around when I reached my shovel. He popped his head up at me. "Remind me to update you in a week. Stuff is goin' on and I did promise I'd keep you updated." He smiled and nodded, then continued his work.

Later that night, Carl stood timidly in the doorway of my cell. I greeted him with a smile, lifting up the covers and nodding him over to come and lay down. He adjusted comfortably in front of me before I leaned up on my elbow, resting my head on my hand and using my free one to play with Carl's hair.

"What're you worried about me for?" I asked in reference to what he said earlier.

"Well, you got shot and no one would tell me anything. And I know something happened with you and Daryl." I stayed silent at his words. I knew he could handle a lot, but he is still just a kid. I didn't want to have to burden his mind with my adult-life issues. Then again, not telling him was burdening him just as much. "Why won't anyone tell me things?" he asked quietly. He sounded so hurt and it broke my heart.

"Carl, sometimes there are things that happen that are just too hard to understand. I know you're mature, way more than any other kid I've met, but you are still a kid."

"Then help me understand," he pleaded. "Explain these things to me and I'll understand. I just want to know what's going on."

My hand stilled as I sighed through my nose. Closing my eyes, I gently kissed Carl's head. "What do you want to know?" I asked lowly.

"What did the Governor do to you?"

I gulped, taking another shaky breath before responding. "He raped me, which is sex without consent. He forced himself on me to try and get answers but I didn't give him any."