Hero

"Everyone deserves a chance to walk with everyone else."

I slept rather peacefully that night. After taking a step back and realizing that everyone—together—would get things done, it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

The next morning, the group had a small meeting at the Grimes' house discussing what to do next. We each had our determined gazes on each other. It wasn't heavy, which was a relief.

"I don't mind going to Hilltop to discuss a course of action with them," I offered. "I think it'd be better for us to split up a bit at this point. If we keep traveling in a group, we're just wasting time."

Everyone took this into consideration for a moment. I'm sure it still must be hard to allow me to go out on my own in regards to my recent actions and mental state. If I don't start proving myself now, though, we're wasting even more precious time.

"That's a good point," Michonne agreed. "If Negan already knows Daryl's out, then we have less time than we hoped. We need every second we can get."

Everyone else nodded in agreement.

"Okay then. Belle, you're on Hilltop duty today. The rest of us will get things with Alexandria settled and tightened up. If you're not back by sunset, we'll send someone out to make sure things are okay. Sound good to everyone?" Rick asked.

Again, we all nodded. It was a solid plan, killing two birds with one stone essentially. We even planned for a different avenue. It felt good to be productive like this.

After this agreement, we all split from the house. I made quick work back to my home to grab any last minute things I'd need for this trip. After grabbing any additional weaponry, i paused outside for a moment. I glanced at the garage door, thinking.

I knew Daryl was fixing up a bike before everything happened. I had no clue if he'd finished or if it was even functioning. Settling with myself, however, I chose to give it a shot.

I rolled the bike out from the garage, turning it on once I was in the street. To my luck, she started up just fine, the engine roaring to life.

"Fuck yeah," I muttered to myself.

Rick stopped me at the gates to make sure everything was set. He furrowed his brows before saying, "You never told me you knew how to ride a bike."

"Oh, please. I grew up with Daryl. You really think he didn't teach me?"

Rick chuckled in response.

"Fair enough. Stay safe, Belle. We'll see you at sunset."

"See you at sunset," I repeated. I slapped Rick's hand followed by a fist bump before revving the engine and leaving Alexandria.

It'd been a while since I've rid a bike on my own. Quite honestly it was really the first time on my own. I always had Daryl with me. No surprise there. I felt determined, though. Things felt like they were going in the right direction.

As the time dragged on, I felt my shoulder lose their tension. The rumble of the bike became background noise. A few straggling walkers were nothing but side pieces.

***

I was about halfway to Hilltop when my luck ran out. Someone shot at my front tire, sending me flying off the bike to the rough cement. The road burn I got from the crash stung in the worst ways. The impact left me dazed, barely noticing the group of men that ambushed me after the fact.

As I finally pulled myself together, my wrists and ankles were tied. My body ached immensely. I didn't recognize any of the men staring back at me. There were about six, God only knew if more were hiding.