Absolute Beginners

"Nothing much could happen. Nothing we can't shake."

After all the bullshit they caused today, I left no room for question when I told Rick and Daryl I was driving us back to Alexandria. I was also adamant about bringing Jesus back until we knew he was conscious and safe. Daryl was upset about it but I was upset about his childish behavior.

The tension was thick between the three of us. The boys' guilt was obvious, as it should be. Rick, from his place in the passenger seat, kept shifting uncomfortably.

"Belle--"

"I don't want to hear it," I interrupted Rick.

"You're still upset," he said.

"Wow, really? What gave it away? Is it how I'm death-gripping the steering wheel? Or the fact I haven't talked to either of you two since the barn? Or maybe it's because you two dumbasses didn't use your collective one brain cell and just talk with Jesus instead of sinking our damned truck!?"

No one said anything after that. I didn't even think about what I was saying, as per usual when I'm in these heated moods. I could feel both Daryl's and Rick's gazes burning into my skull. With a sigh, I rested a head on my hand, leaning my elbow on the window.

"Sorry," I mumbled, "that was rude and uncalled for."

"I'm sorry for how we handled things today," Rick apologized. "I promise we'll handle Jesus better tomorrow."

"Thanks, Rick." I paused before adding, "Just remember, before all this, I was essentially a psychologist. I know how to handle people from time to time." He chuckled at that.

"Maybe I should let you deal with people more often then."

It was nice to get an apology from Rick. I honestly didn't expect one openly from Daryl. I'm sure he'll say something when we get home.

***

Once we got back to Alexandria, I told Rick and Daryl they were deciding what to do with Jesus' still-unconscious body. Their mistake, their problem.

I immediately made my way to my home at the back of the community. I loved it but, damn, was it a pain in the ass to get to when you're tired.

Once home, I went straight to take a shower, feeling the day's wear-and-tear eat away at me. I'm sure Daryl will be back before I'm even done.

As I stepped under the warm spray of water, I nearly felt all my tense muscles release. It was as if all the pent-up anger from today slipped away in the sigh that left my lips. As I wet my hair, I allowed the water to flow over my face, washing away the sweat and grime. I rubbed my eyes as I pulled away from the warmth, a yawn filling and releasing in my lungs. I heard the bathroom door open after this.

"Please say it's Daryl because I'd much rather not get murdered while I'm naked," I called out to the intruder. A familiar, hearty chuckled followed my statement.

"Yeah, B, it's me," Daryl said. "Can I join you?"

"No," I joked. Ignoring my attitude, he pushed aside the shower curtain and stepped into the small space with me.

We were quiet for a few minutes, both of us tired and enjoying the simplicity of the other's company. Daryl languidly let his hand glide along the wet skin of my sides and back. One of my hands rested on his shoulder while the other skimmed across the minimal splotches of ink engrained in his skin. He watched me intently as I did this.