Stand By Me

"I won't be afraid just as long as you stand, stand by me."

Each of us spent our time in Deanna's office, some more than others, while the remainder waited around inside one of the houses she'd lent us. I was sitting on the porch stairs, picking at the dirt under my nails. Carol had just returned from her interview, sitting beside me as she reached the stairs.

"Hey," she greeted. I glanced at her briefly before focusing my gaze back down.

"Hey," I replied. "How'd it go?"

"Good. You?" 

"Good, I guess." 

We were silent for a moment. There was this tension between the two of us, mostly one-sided. I didn't understand what was going on between her and Daryl and it frustrated me. I just wanted to know if I still mattered to him.

"There's nothing going on between me and Daryl, by the way," she said. Was I really that obvious?

"Okay," I answered, not really knowing what else to say.

"I know it's probably looked weird with me and him, but I promise it's nothing." She paused for a moment before adding, "He's worried about you." At this, I looked over at her again.

"Is he?" I asked. She nodded in return.

"You're never this quiet," she pointed out. "He's just trying to find the right time to bring it up. We've all been busy."

"Yeah," I mumbled, bringing my feet up an extra step so I could rest my chin on my arms.

"We'll get through this, Belle. And whatever you're going through will pass. You always know where I am if you need anything," Carol said, brushing some of my hair back and behind my ear. The corners of my mouth lifted slightly as I turned to look at her.

"Thank you." Carol smiled in response, kissing my temple right after.

Deanna had finished her interviews and was taking time to consult each of them. Rick said that we should all stick together, remaining in one room in one house. We all piled into the living room, rows of bodies lying on the floor. I glanced around at everyone, noticing one person missing. I knew there'd be no way he'd sleep in a crowded room.

I stepped outside, closing the door behind me. Daryl was sat on the porch, leaning up against the railing. It was dark out, the only light being the light of the moon. We locked gazes as I walked over to him, my arms crossed over my chest since the night air was chilly.

"You should be inside," he mumbled. God, I missed hearing him talk to me. I sat down beside him.

"I've spent too much time away from you," I said. "I don't want to be alone anymore." Daryl hummed in response.

I leaned my head on his shoulder. He took the initiative to slip his hand into mine. It made my heart flutter. Maybe I did still mean something to him.

"I love you," I muttered. He turned his head and kissed my hair. 

"Love you, too." We stayed this way for a few minutes before he said, "If you're gonna stay out here, lie down. I don't want you uncomfortable." I shifted to lie my head in Daryl's lap.

"Aw, you're worried about me pulling something in my neck?" I teased.

"Yeah, 'cause if you do, I gotta listen to you bitch about it." I smiled and let out a small huff. I missed this.

"You're an ass," I told him.

"Yeah, yeah."

I leaned up a bit and Daryl leaned down, meeting me in a soft kiss. We haven't had this for a while so we cherished it. He held the side of my face gently, just like he always did. It gave us peace of mind so we could sleep that night.