Jesus Christ

"Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die, I'm a little bit scared of what comes after."

I trudged my way back up the steps of the RV, Daryl helping or somewhat pushing me along. Once inside, he closed the door before shutting the window and dropping the shades, ensuring it was just us. He paced for a minute or two, occasionally huffing and puffing like he was about to say something. 

"The hell'd I tell you?" he asked clearly upset with me. 

"Well, if I remember correctly, you told me not to leave the bed or the RV. And, last time I checked, I didn't do either of those." He glared at me, giving me that you-don't-have-to-be-a-smartass look. "Look, Daryl," I said, "I couldn't let people die. And I know that some did, but I saved some. At least I can say I tried rather than feeling guilty that I didn't." 

"But you're hurt, Belle. You almost died. And you damn near could have!" 

Daryl stood a few inches from me. I looked up into his seemingly-icy blue eyes, sighing. I gently held his forearms lying at his sides. "But I didn't because of this group." We were silent for a moment, just staring at each other. "I'm not scared to die, Daryl," I said quietly. "And if it means keeping one of them safe and alive, keeping you alive, I'd be okay with that." 

He slightly shook his head. "I wouldn't." 

I quickly inhaled and exhaled. "I know."

His gaze softened as the tension in the air lessened. Daryl slowly moved his hands up to rest on my hips, mine still attached to his forearms. I gazed down quickly before looking back up. My heart was beating in my ears, the only thing I could hear was the mass amounts of blood it was pumping undoubtedly to my cheeks. Daryl slowly inched closer to me as if everything that was going on outside had stopped. The world seemed to stop turning but seemed to spin so fast altogether. His face slowly crept up to mine, centimeter by centimeter, his breaths growing warmer as they came closer in contact with my lips. 

The RV door opened, footsteps trailing up the stairs, making the vehicle shake slightly. Daryl and I separated our bodies from one another, leaving me feeling cold and hollow. Back to the reality at hand, I guess. Rick was standing at the front of the RV looking clearly distressed. How could you blame him? That seemed to be the only feeling right now, aside from whatever the hell just happened between me and Daryl. 

"We're leaving in the morning, y'all should pack up your things," he informed us. We both gave a nod, Daryl being the first to leave. 

The pain in my ribs seemed to have gone away at this point. That or I was just too numb from everything I didn't notice it. I made my way to the door. Rick placed his hand on my shoulder once I reached him causing me to stop and look up at the man. 

"Thank you for keeping Carl safe," he said. 

"Yeah, yeah no problem." 

"No, Belle, I mean it." His directness made me scrunch my eyebrows slightly. "You've been keeping my boy safe ever since you met him without even being asked. He really, really likes you and is always talking about the fun he has with you. And I greatly appreciate it. It's what Carl needed while I was gone." 

I stared at Rick with my mouth open slightly, fearing tears would come back. I'm sick of crying now. Just right now. I nodded and blinked.