Afterglow

"Oh, just take it easy. Hold onto this feeling."

My eyes fluttered open to be met by mostly darkness. Thin strips of moonlight streaked through the window across the bed. Daryl and I had shifted slightly in our sleep; we were both on our sides facing each other, his arm holding me close while his fingers were spread across my lower back. I studied his features carefully. He always looked peaceful while he slept. One of the few times he ever did, as a matter of fact. It was a beautiful a thing, really. The way his eyelashes fanned over the top of his cheeks. The way his hair framed his face. The way his normally-tensed facial expression softened to look like freshly spread sand. It was awe-worthy. It brought me my own peace of mind.

"I can feel you staring," he mumbled, eyes still closed.

I smiled, biting my lip slightly. "Can't help it," I admitted shamelessly. At this, Daryl lazily opened his eyes, a tired smirk tugging at his lips.

"You should sleep," he encouraged.

"Don't sleep too much anymore. I'll live." I paused for a moment before adding, "You should sleep."

"Can't when I feel you starin' at me." 

I released a lazy giggle. I studied Daryl's features once more and he studied mine. A cage full of butterflies erupted in my stomach, a feeling he still managed to give me after all these years.

"I know that look," he said.

"What look?"

"You're thinkin' 'bout somethin'."

The tip of my tongue poked out, slowly licking my lips; a gesture that didn't go unseen by Daryl. "You love me," I whispered. It wasn't necessarily a statement, nor was it a question. It was more of a free-flowing thought that was vocalized. Daryl hummed in response. "How did you know?" I asked curiously.

"To be honest, I felt somethin' that night at the farm when we kissed," he admitted. "Jus' never wanted to accept it. Never thought you'd really want someone like me." 

I stared at him in awe. I knew he constantly felt this way, it had just become a part of his personality. Having him verbally admit this, however, hit me in a way I couldn't describe.

"Never thought I'd live to see the day Daryl Dixon tells me his deepest, darkest feelings," I teased with a smirk.

Daryl playfully smacked my ass with a smirk of his own. "Fuck you," he muttered.

"Wouldn't mind it," I said. I leaned up to connect our lips. The kiss was slow and loving, both of us taking our time to mold our lips together, memorize how we taste and feel. Daryl's hand pulled me closer, our bottom halves coming together to mold into one. A soft whimper left the back of my throat at the contact. I brought my hand up to hold the side of his face, keeping him close to me.

He licked my bottom lip to which I happily opened my mouth. Our tongues again met in a beautifully choreographed dance of passion and underlying need. Soft whimpers gradually increased from my throat, soft moans soon erupting from Daryl's. His hand moved down to my bare thigh, pulling it up and over his waist. He grazed his hand up and down my skin hungrily as we pushed against each other.

I pulled my lips from his, gently trailing them down his jaw to his neck. He leaned his head back slightly, allowing me more access from our position. I peppered his skin with light but lingering kisses, gliding my lips along his skin. His hand tightened on my thigh before sliding back to my bare bottom, repeating his actions. I moaned lightly, taking a moment to gasp and catch my breath. 

Daryl took this opportunity to ease me back so he was hovering above me. He reconnected our lips, the need and want much more evident in his actions. I slowly grew to become a moaning, writhing mess beneath him.