No Tomorrow

"If you search for the light at the edge of the dark, there's a glimmer of hope to guide you home."

The next morning I woke up still cuddled into Daryl's side, although my legs were now laid over his while one of his arms was wrapped around my shoulders and the other was draped over my legs. The warm smell of bacon filled my nose, nearly making my mouth water. 

"Holy shit," I said out loud with a small chuckle. I turned to look at Daryl. His head was leaned back against the couch as he slept soundly. I poked at his cheeks repeatedly while chanting his name. After a minute or so, he swatted my hands away with his own. 

"Fucking hell, B, why you always gotta wake me up like that?" he asked, sleepy and annoyed. I lightly nudged at his shoulder, smiling wide. 

"Wake up and smell the bacon, Dixon!" He grunted while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "I don't know about you," I said, "but I haven't had bacon in a long ass time. So would you please do me the honor of going to get it with me?" He looked at me annoyed, I just smiled and batted my eyes at him. 

With a sigh, he asked, "Why the hell am I even friends with you?" 

My smile widened as I pulled myself out of Daryl's lap. "Because I'm fucking fun."

We made our way through the CDC to the kitchen, Daryl trudging along behind me while I nearly skipped my way there. Entering the room, Jenner was cooking some breakfast while a few members of the group were scattered about. 

"Well, well, well, if it ain't beauty and the beast," T-dog said from his seat at the table. I walked past Jenner, grabbing a small knife from the knife block, and slammed it less than an inch in front of T-dog's hand that was lying on the table. 

"I'd watch what you say, T. The beast if very protective and this beauty's got one hell of an eye," I threatened, playfully in my mind. I knew he was joking and was hungover as shit, I was just having some fun. I removed my hand from the knife, leaving it sticking up in the wood of the table, and with a wink, turned and left. 

I walked back over to Jenner. "Want anything in particular?" he asked. 

"Got pancakes?" 

"You bet." 

I smiled. "And bacon." 

"Coffee?" 

"You better believe it," I said while heading back towards the table. I noticed Daryl had now fully entered the room and sat off by himself. I only felt a little bad about waking him up. I went and sat by Glenn, who looked like he was in so much physical pain while having an existential crisis. "What is up, my dude," I said while propping my feet up on the table. 

"I'm never drinking again," he groaned. 

I couldn't help but chuckle. Leaning over and patting his back, I said, "You'll be okay, my friend."

Later that afternoon, Jenner showed us his research he'd been working on. He showed us how the virus affected the brain, before and after death. It was interesting but peculiar; why would this happen? Better yet, how the hell did this even come about? These were the questions we hoped Jenner would answer, but, seeing as his present knowledge and research are from his now-deceased wife, we were all at square one. While Rick and Jenner continued talking, I glanced around the room we were in. I noticed a screen that had numbers counting down on it, and it was pretty close to zero. I'm no rocket scientist, but I know that can only mean bad things.

I lightly nudged Daryl's arm with my elbow. He looked down at me, I nodded in the direction of the clock. He pointed to the screen. 

"The hell is that?" he asked, causing everyone to turn and look in the direction of his pointed finger. Something about Jenner's demeanor changed once we brought it up. He was extremely hesitant to answer, causing me to butt in in both fear and anger.