Since We're Alone

"Since we're alone, yeah, you can show me your heart."

The next morning I let my eyes flutter open relatively early, meeting Daryl's baby blues. The corners of my mouth upturned as I closed my eyes again.

"Hey," I mumbled, looking up through my lashes.

"Hey," Daryl grunted, his voice deep and raspy.

"Was the cage really that bad?" I asked slyly.

"Guess not, but I still ain't livin' in a cage."

I shrugged. "Worth a shot." 

Soon after, we pulled ourselves out of bed and began preparing for the next day. I joined the group outside in the courtyard for some breakfast.

"Mornin', Belle," Rick said as he sauntered over to me. I met his gaze.

"Mornin', sheriff. How you holdin' up?" I asked. He sighed.

"Getting there," he admitted. I smiled softly, patting his shoulder.

"I'm always here if you need me."

"Thank you."

Rick and I walked over to a small table, sitting together and eating breakfast.

"So," he said, breaking the silence, "you and Daryl, huh?" I immediately felt the heat rush to my cheeks as I smiled.

"What makes you say that?" I asked stupidly. At this point, Carol had come to join us.

"He wasn't on the perch. I caught him sleeping with you," Rick admitted. I rolled my bottom lip between my teeth with a smile, playing around with my food. "I'm happy for you two," Rick said.

"I'm just glad you two finally agreed to do it," Carol chimed in. "You two are perfect for each other. I see the way he looks at you, Belle." I smiled even more, not that I thought it was possible.

"Shut up," I mumbled, causing all of us to laugh. 

The day passed smoothly and rather uneventfully. We mainly kept up around the prison, keeping everything in order. I spent a lot of time with Judith, or as Daryl and I liked to call her, Little Ass Kicker. Maggie and Hershel say she's doing very well and she's healthy. I'm glad Rick has her, and Carl for that matter. Although, if you asked me, I personally think Judith isn't Rick's. But, hey, who am I to make those calls?

By now it was really late. I was essentially half asleep in bed, slowly slipping into the early stages of REM. 

"Belle," Daryl whispered, causing me to awaken slightly and look in his direction. He leaned into the doorway of my cell holding a small battery-powered lantern. He nodded his head towards the rest of the cell block. "Come on." 

I groaned, swinging my legs over the side of my bed and tiredly stumble over to him. "What?" I asked while rubbing an eye. Daryl grabbed my free hand and nearly dragged me out of the block and down the hall. The sudden urgency of his movements seemed to wake me up in an instant. 

"Daryl," I whispered, "where are we-" 

He turned suddenly, pulling his hand from mine and placing a finger to my lips, silently shushing me. I looked up at him and nodded. He slowly dragged his finger down my bottom lip, tugging it slightly until it snapped back into place. He quickly grabbed my hand again and continued pulling me along with him.